What I think about Triple.fi two years of audiophile growth later...
Jan 5, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #151 of 184
I enjoy seeing members have lively discussion on this forum and debate opposing views with zeal, but with the ability to respect each other after the dust settles. A very admirable quality to be sure. I wish it were more of a common trait here.

Jan 5, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #152 of 184
This is going to sound insane... and it might be... however I recently had to RMA a pair of Triple vi's to Amazon. The ones I got back sound significantly different to me. I'm still a noob, so there's a chance it just might be me..

On the new ones:

Treble is brighter
Bass is a little "fuller"
The overall sound is umm... more aggressive? This new pair makes the other pair I had sound a little like I was listening with clogged nozzles maybe, or like I was listening through a sound check that limited any peaks in frequency so that it was less dynamic? (If that makes sense?)

TBH, I didn't notice that they sounded like that until I listened to the new ones

There is also a couple physical differences:

The new pair has the frequency response imprinted on the UE tin, my first pair did not...

The green and red filters on this new pair appear further recessed into the body of the driver, whereas the first pair the filters seemed to be closer to the end of the nozzle.

I'm crazy right?

Jan 5, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #153 of 184
It's possible what some people are hearing are QC issues, archercat.

Regarding other issues that have come up in this thread: FWIW, I always considered Fanboy-ism to be irrational love of a product or brand such that even their shortcomings are considered good features. So, someone praising the iPod for _not_ having a user-replaceable battery - a feature nearly EVERYBODY would consider an improvement - is an example of fanboy-ism. That's different than having a simple preference about something subjective (white or blue, large or small, slight emphasis in frequencies or ruler-flat) or something clearly person-relative (fit of various tips, comfort, etc...).

What strikes me about the OP and other posts in this thread is that they are describing different _sound_ than what I hear from my TF10's, not different _evaluation_ of that sound. The TF10 has slightly (and I emphasize the "slightly") recessed mids compared to my other headphones. I don't have strong preferences in this regard, so its other strengths more than make up for that in my eyes. I think most people agree on that one description even if they evaluate it differently.

But no sparkle to the highs? Bass too lean? Thuddy snare drums? It makes me think something is wrong - either with fit or with the physical product. Maybe cables, maybe QC. Otherwise I don't know how to explain it.

Jan 5, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #154 of 184
Ugh, didn't want to hear that. Oh well, if that's the case, may have to send the customs back and have them redo it to accommodate the Pro stock cable. Sounds like you used the ES cable on a pair of stock TF10s, which I didn't try due to the pin issue (was worried I might break a pin). So maybe with a custom socket (replacing the TF10 original), the sound change will not be as drastic, and hopefully not detrimental.

Which cable is the best for you, with the stock TF10? The L-plug or the straight plug? I don't think the L-plug is available any longer, right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by idiotekniQues /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the weston es cable, which i understand is the ue custom cable, made my triple.fi's sound thin and tinny.

on top of that because the spacing of the pins is slightly farther apart, you have to really jam it in there.

i found the straight-jack triples replacement cable, non vi version, was worse for me than the stiffy annoying original l-jack cable that came with mine. the original had more bass presence to me. i bought an extra tf10 original cable to have until i can find a cable that gives me this sound with better logistics. i had the lower end null cable, again it took away the bass for me too much, for others the null cables, both of them, 'tighten' up the bass to them and brings out mids . i guess to me that means worse sound.

this is all quite subjective.

Jan 5, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #155 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the impression is the new / post-Logitech TF10 is inferior? I still find my pre-Logitech TF10 (mid 2008) as good sounding as most of the $300ish IEM in the market, definitely not showing strong sign of lacking behind from my brief audition of W3, UM3X and IE8.

I have a pair of tf10 post logi and since I'm an owner of ER4s, Um3x, and PFE I have to say that the TF10 is still a very good choice depending on listening preference.

I think a lot of negativity has to do with fit, which can be tough and the fact that they are now Logitech.

Jan 5, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #157 of 184
I used to own M-Audio IE40 and they sounded nothing like a Triple.fi that I recently auditioned at a local audio store. IE40s sounded exactly like Antonyfirst described the Triple.fi - too much mid bass that overshadows the lower mids and a generally dark, muffled sound. However, the Triple.fi that I heard at the store sounded wonderful - very neutral, clear and with great extension both high and low. I was very surprised. I think there are definitely some quality control issues with these IEMs.

Jan 5, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #158 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to own M-Audio IE40 and they sounded nothing like a Triple.fi that I recently auditioned at a local audio store. IE40s sounded exactly like Antonyfirst described the Triple.fi - too much mid bass that overshadows the lower mids and a generally dark, muffled sound. However, the Triple.fi that I heard at the store sounded wonderful - very neutral, clear and with great extension both high and low. I was very surprised. I think there are definitely some quality control issues with these IEMs.

Initially I would have described the TF10 as Antonyfirst did, but simply changing to bi-flange tips has made them sound as Pianist said. To me, with the bi-flange tips, they are very enjoyable and quite good!

And they are extremely comfy!

Jan 6, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #159 of 184
My two pairs of Triple.Fi 10 Pros were purchased ~7 months apart, with the most recent being those obtained through the Amazon sale. There is no noticeable difference in sound characteristics between them. However, my Shure e500c and SE530s, purchased ~2.5 years apart, have a significant difference in tonal characteristic--the much newer SE530s have a weaker bass response but a higher frequency extension compared to the e500c.

Jan 6, 2010 at 10:25 AM Post #161 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by slickooz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi guys accidentally bought the UE 10vi instead of the pro. is there going be a lot of difference that i should be worrying about?

I doubt it, especially if your not extremely detailed of a listener. Lots of people believe cables make a difference, lots don't. thats why we Don't discuss double blind tests. but others have said the pro cables sound better than the vi cable because the vi cable is smaller. but in reality I don't think there's much of a difference in them tbh.

I had a pair of each. both sounded exactly the same to me.. but now they are custom monitor shells and sound even better.
biggrin.gif
ksc75smile.gif

Jan 6, 2010 at 10:42 AM Post #162 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by xguntherc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I doubt it, especially if your not extremely detailed of a listener. Lots of people believe cables make a difference, lots don't. thats why we Don't discuss double blind tests. but others have said the pro cables sound better than the vi cable because the vi cable is smaller. but in reality I don't think there's much of a difference in them tbh.

I had a pair of each. both sounded exactly the same to me.. but now they are custom monitor shells and sound even better.
biggrin.gif
ksc75smile.gif

thanks. i feel a little better. i went back and was reading this thread and people have said the pro wire are thicker then vi. i dont have a iphone but will be getting an itouch. will the mic that comes with the headphone work for ipod touch 3gen as a recorder? worst comes to worst i can also replace the vi cable with the pro cable by ordering from their site? i thought i made the right move in picking the vi because of its mic so i can record stuff on the ipod touch. but after reading 11 pages im still a little worried i bought the wrong one.

cnet and other sites have said that they both have the same sonic signature. "The 10vi headphones offer the same spectacular sound quality and gigantic earbuds found across the Triple.fi line " from CNET. what do you guys think?

Jan 6, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #163 of 184
I actually have the ipod touch 3rd Gen 32GB in my hand typing this response.. and I'll tell you they sound amazing from it. and I didn't notice a difference from either, but others might disagree.. and yes you can always buy the pro cable for the $24 dollars because the drivers are the same in both.. The voice control on the touch isn't that great, but I use the mic button for pause, play, and next track somewhat often.

Jan 6, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #164 of 184
Don't worry slickooz, be happy! Wait for them to arrive with eager anticipation. When they do, be overjoyed to receive them. Unpack them carefully or with gay abandon. Once you wrangle them, listen to them. And then when you're ready, let us know what you think.

Jan 6, 2010 at 11:11 AM Post #165 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by xguntherc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually have the ipod touch 3rd Gen 32GB in my hand typing this response.. and I'll tell you they sound amazing from it. and I didn't notice a difference from either, but others might disagree.. and yes you can always buy the pro cable for the $24 dollars because the drivers are the same in both.. The voice control on the touch isn't that great, but I use the mic button for pause, play, and next track somewhat often.

thanks xguntherc. going be getting an ipod touch 32gb 3rd gen. is there any other mp3 you guys would suggest that has the best aq?

thanks ipond i will let you guys know how they sound them i get them
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back