What home stereo amp?
Apr 23, 2006 at 9:17 AM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by warnsey
To be honest i am loosing my interest in headphones.

Hopefully that's to settle in and listen to the ones you got, rather than losing interest in actually listening to music through headphones (in which case it's time to upgrade rather than quit
wink.gif
).

Apr 23, 2006 at 9:23 AM Post #17 of 24
Just found another one.

Anyone heard of Atoll more specifically the IN 100 also the Musical Fidelity X-150?

Apr 23, 2006 at 9:33 AM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Hopefully that's to settle in and listen to the ones you got, rather than losing interest in actually listening to music through headphones (in which case it's time to upgrade rather than quit
wink.gif
).

Defiantly not quiting just really enjoying speakers for a change and upgrading those components. Headphones will be back though.

Apr 23, 2006 at 6:24 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by warnsey
Well i feel it's time for the NAD to go. I'm getting the upgrade itch. I'm pretty sure i have narrowed it down to two but am open to suggestions.

Rotel RA-1070

Denon PMA-1500AE

Any thoughts?

The PMA-1500AE and 2000AE look very similar to the US PMA IVR2000, which only comes in black. I have an IVR2000 that I use as a stanby amp when any of my gear goes down for upgrades or problems.

I now use TACT BOZ216/2200 amps for all of my systems, however within the past 2 years, I've gone through amps from Meridian, Classe, Parasound, B&K, Melody and EAR. The Denon really loses nothing against any of those amps. It has tremedous build quality, a clean style and has all the sonic qualities of an audiophile amp. It also has a very good phono stage and headphone jack. My only complaint is that it doesn't have any XLR connections.

I wouldn't overlook the Denon. Denon has much greater cost efficiencies than any of the above companies, and is capable of desigining and manufacturing audiophile products at consumer prices. I do admit that I have a penchant for the more esoteric products, but I keep the PMA-IVR2000because it's a great amp at any price.

Apr 25, 2006 at 12:23 AM Post #21 of 24
Thanks all for your input. I actually got to audition some players today. It actually looks like the Musical Fidelity A3.5 is leading the race out of the rotel and the denon.

Anyone ha any experience with Musical Fidelity products? I have heard of them but don't know heaps about their stuff. The A3.5 does sound nice though.

Apr 25, 2006 at 12:51 AM Post #22 of 24
Your better off keeping the NAD(or selling it to me!) because I dont feel you'll find others that much better(just different). Improving your source will yield a bigger upgrade in sound. From what I've read that NAD is said to be the cats meow! I just sold my Amp & preAmp because I never use them anymore. I was planning on getting a NAD BEE to fill the void and still get big sound for movie watching and back ground sound.

Maybe you should look into the up and coming Hard drive based sources.
There said to be better than any laser read format because of the lack of jitter.

Apr 25, 2006 at 12:53 AM Post #23 of 24
I've heard the newer anthem amps, and they are wonderful. It's a Canadian maker, high quality and incredible sound.

Apr 27, 2006 at 7:14 AM Post #24 of 24
Just heard some more amps today.

The Sonnetter Bronte: This is suppose to be the future for amps it has digital circuitary and doesn't get hot. However the sound was very sterile and uninvolving.

Atoll IN100. Definatley didn't deliver a very intresting sound. Quite a warm sounding amp close to the NAD series IMO.

CR Developments CR100. This amp is rated at 100w to 8ohm. Boy was that a lie is was so underpowered and delivered no punch at all into most speaker it went through. Looks pretty though.

I think the Musical Fidelity A3.5 is winning the race at the moment. I haven't seen to many reviews on it so i'm a little unsure on Musical Fidelity's build quality and reputation (i guess that shouldn't really matter).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back