What high end headphones, amp or dac / amp have the best resale value?
Sep 22, 2023 at 10:13 AM Post #16 of 21
That said, one doesn't buy a new car in hopes of flipping it for much
Depends on which spectrum of the market. Super cars are being bought new for flipping, obviously not all are winners though.

Sep 22, 2023 at 11:46 PM Post #17 of 21
Yeah ZMF has lost its luster on the used market somewhat. I see almost every headphone taking a pretty heavy bath when resold currently. I don't really think any brands are immune to this. Somebody mentioned Audeze but most of those sell for half of what they sell for new on the used market so I wouldn't exactly call that great resale.

Oct 7, 2023 at 11:29 PM Post #18 of 21
I can live with whatever happens new vs used, as with all hobby based products. However when a manufacture dumps prices on the same product you bought a few months ago that burns me, I own 2 Hifiman headphones and frankly pleased with both the headphones but in a few months they dropped the price $150. They have become so confusing with constantly changing version numbers and stealth it just completely muddies the waters, Hiby has done the same thing again a quality product but their pricing is all over the place. It makes it hard for me to justify repeat purchases from them.

Oct 7, 2023 at 11:49 PM Post #19 of 21
Yeah ZMF has lost its luster on the used market somewhat. I see almost every headphone taking a pretty heavy bath when resold currently. I don't really think any brands are immune to this. Somebody mentioned Audeze but most of those sell for half of what they sell for new on the used market so I wouldn't exactly call that great resale.
I would argue that Audezes drop in price is largely dictated by the price they set for their B-Stock and now the recent "Hi-fi trade in" sales. The LCD-5 and the CRBN both get sold for around $2700-$2500 in those sales and subsequently will go for around $300-$500 less on the secondary market.

It is a very similar story with the Susvaras. Enough dealers are willing to sell them for sub $4K and as a result, the secondary market expects a $600-$800 discount on that price.

Oct 8, 2023 at 5:48 AM Post #21 of 21
Didn't think market could be this dead. Anticipating a slow market, I thought I could hedge depreciation by buying products before they took an MSRP price hike, e.g. Benchmark HPA4/ AHB2 $3000 to $3500, Utopia 2022 $3688 AUD to $4288, but used is still falling off a cliff 😭

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back