What high end headphones, amp or dac / amp have the best resale value?
Sep 20, 2023 at 9:34 PM Post #2 of 21
The used market took a dive... on average, I see headphones at the upper end of this lose almost $2000 in value. Amps and dacs depends on the rarity, but if you're buying something like a new Decware, I'd still be prepared to lose a ton.

That's an interesting question but why do you ask?

Sep 20, 2023 at 9:36 PM Post #3 of 21
The used market took a dive... on average, I see headphones at the upper end of this lose almost $2000 in value. Amps and dacs depends on the rarity, but if you're buying something like a new Decware, I'd still be prepared to lose a ton.

That's an interesting question but why do you ask?
Just curious really after having bought/sold many headphones. In my opinion, maybe ZMF?

Sep 20, 2023 at 9:48 PM Post #4 of 21
Hmm... let's say you buy a stock Atrium for $2750 with the mag chassis. That might sell for... $1850? So like $1000 lost with PayPal fees and shipping.

The others, Susvara, Verite Closed, Solitaire P, Meze Elite, HD800S, Final D8000 Pro, all those lose a ton. Stax might be something that might hold some value, but finding a buyer is harder than for traditional headphones in that upper price range.

Sep 20, 2023 at 9:53 PM Post #7 of 21
I buy and sell audio equipment on the secondary market. The ones that keep value the best are Audeze for headphones but for amps and DACs it's a losing deal to buy new. Audiogon would be the best place to do a reality check of high end pricing. Also see on eBay advanced search for sold items pricing. Avoid anything that goes on sale at Drop or Black Friday, the used market takes a bath on those for six months after Drop does a crazy sale.
Discontinued models are the most stable for headphones like the HD700, HD800 or Beyerdynamic T90 but take a long time to sell. With an open box Susvara from Hifiman it's hard to lose much. The high end Aune stuff is good, since there's not that many used for sale, but takes a while to sell it since many people don't know the brand.

Sep 20, 2023 at 10:06 PM Post #8 of 21
In general, I'd say if you're buying new, just be prepared to lose anywhere from 25-60% of the value.

If you're one of the first to sell it, it can certainly be less than that... the Meze 109 was maybe $50 off new on the first one that came up? And the AuR Neon Pro, that was $730 new and the used ones were initially selling for $675+. Not anymore though.

But stuff where it's a buyers market, like an HD800S... that's $1500+ new not on sale, and roughly $900 used.

Sep 20, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #9 of 21
In general, I'd say if you're buying new, just be prepared to lose anywhere from 25-60% of the value.

If you're one of the first to sell it, it can certainly be less than that... the Meze 109 was maybe $50 off new on the first one that came up? And the AuR Neon Pro, that was $730 new and the used ones were initially selling for $675+. Not anymore though.

But stuff where it's a buyers market, like an HD800S... that's $1500+ new not on sale, and roughly $900 used.
Thanks. Know nothing about IEM's

Sep 21, 2023 at 12:33 AM Post #10 of 21
Sep 21, 2023 at 6:57 AM Post #11 of 21

It's true the 800S takes a bath initially, but units in good visual shape bought years ago is the same $900. which is pretty good for someone buying and using regularly before selling. A worse case would be buyers of the HE-6 SE when it first came out, go forward 2-3 years and the Adorama sales cut the price by 75%!

Sep 21, 2023 at 7:54 AM Post #12 of 21
MSB

Sep 21, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #13 of 21
You just need to start a YouTube channel and then you can ask manufacturers for 50% “industry discount” or outright free unit in exchange for a review. You can then resell at cost or even make a profit.

Sep 21, 2023 at 7:14 PM Post #14 of 21
Just curious really after having bought/sold many headphones. In my opinion, maybe ZMF?
This seems to be true only for about the first 3-4 months after a product launch (typical of hyped products in almost any hobby). If you're getting out after that window, you're gonna take a bath, especially in 2023. I lost a bit on Atrium and Caldera when I got out, but nothing compared to the losses it appears are common on the Classifieds right now.

That said, one doesn't buy a new car in hopes of flipping it for much, nor does one buy a new computer with hopes of flipping it for much. Tesla and Apple are anomalies in those markets, much as ZMF was an anomaly in this one. In general, expect any product in any space to lose 20-50% of its value as soon as it goes from 0 to 1 owners in its history. If that's a deal-breaker, then that's a sign one should be buying on the used market and scoring the deals for themselves (resale value remains reasonably constant between 1 and 2 owners, and even usually between 1 and 3 owners, if well maintained).

Sep 22, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #15 of 21
Buyer market right now. All the recently released $3000+ MSRP models are taking a bath. LCD-5 and Utopia 2022 tanked the hardest, Elites holding decently. Stax X9000 is going strong.

Agree with ZMF. Falls off a cliff, too much supply with their "limited" runs. All are based on personal experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back