What headset to buy for gaming/music
Mar 10, 2012 at 4:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Ossadtchii

New Head-Fier

[size=10pt]Hello forum,[/size]

[size=10pt]i have been browsing these forums for an hour or 2 now for some impressions on the Astro a40 headset.[/size]
[size=10pt]But soon enough i found out they might not be the best suitable headset for my needs?[/size]

[size=10pt]So I’m going to try explain what I’m looking for and maybe you guys can help me?.[/size]

[size=10pt]First of all i have no external sound card in my pc but i do have a[/size][size=10pt]n[/size][size=10pt] onboard soundcard[/size][size=10pt] (I have a Asus Rampage iii extreme motherboard) no idea if it’s any good but the board was quite expensive haha.[/size]

[size=10pt]And second I have a cheap ass 15 euro Philips SHP2000 headphone with a way over sensitive Microsoft lifecam HD that has a build in mic.[/size]

[size=10pt]So what I’m looking for is a good headset or headphone with a mic for maximum 250 euro as I’m a student and money is somewhat a problem :p[/size]

[size=10.0pt]Preferably[/size][size=10.0pt] i want an open design headset/headphone with soft ear pads as I don’t like those hard/leather pads. And to add I have quite a big head but the SHP2000’s I have now are perfect size so anything that big will do.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]I chat allot while playing games. I’d say I chat 90% of the time that I play games and I’m getting tired of people complaining about either over sensitive mic’s or bad quality/fuzzing noises.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]Also why I added music in my title is because I love to listen to music and also one of the games that I play allot is Osu! It’s like a guitar hero type of game with allot of music.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]So having all that in mind can anyone suggest me a good headset/headphone?[/size]
[size=10.0pt]I have been looking at the Sennheiser HD 598’s or HD 558’s but they all have this big input jack and people are saying that you need a good card/amp to take full potential out of them etc…[/size]

Mar 10, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #3 of 11
Hi Osadtchii,
  I am a Sennheiser fan so obviously I think your on the right track. Currently using PC-350, with bass mod and very happy.

The mic is excellent, audio is too. Despite close back with pleather pads, very comfy even for long periods of time. 

They do fail your requirement for open back without pleather pads, but I still thoroughly recommend you at least try them, if you can. I was impressed with the audio before bass mod, and very impressed after. You can also get replacement pads for 950's which fit nicely and are a soft material. I have always preferred this 'tailor made to MY specification' approach anyway.

Pricing is around $150, well within your price range. Approx another $30 for softer pads, I still use the pleather though (I like the isolation).

If you really prefer to go with 'off the shelf' then you seem to have already chosen well. Just need to sort out a good mic solution.

[edit] Crosffire points out the PC360 which is a newer set than the PC350. I have not tried them, but I do believe they have very much the same attributes, with nicer controls. A good choice. 

Thanks for pointing those out Crossfire
[/edit]

Regards
David

Mar 10, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #4 of 11
Hi Crossfire,
 Do they use the same close back drivers? Does the bass mod apply to them? If you tried does it release the same body pounding bass as it does in the 350's?

Regards
David

Mar 10, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #5 of 11
Sennheiser HD558s are easy to drive and they come with a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter.
The Asus Xonar DG (PCI, $30) will drive them fine (but not super loud).
It still leaves you $50 out of your budget for a mic.

Mar 10, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #6 of 11

[size=10pt]Thank you all for the replies.[/size]

[size=10pt]i did have a look at the Sennheiser PC 360 and they look like a headset that suits me well but i was not completely sure after finding some threads on the web about mic issues and overall quality?[/size]

[size=10pt] [/size]

[size=10pt]Also what is this bass mod you guys are talking about?[/size]

[size=10pt] [/size]

[size=10pt]I’m going to wait for some more suggestions and make my decision Tuesday[/size][size=10pt].[/size]

[size=10pt]So please feel free to give a bit more advice/suggestions till then.[/size]

Mar 10, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #7 of 11
I can confirm the superb quality of the mic and overall design. Not sure what those complaints are, please post a link. I have always had comments when switching from my Cam mic to PC-350 mic of how much better it is.

There are some concerns from audiophiles that the audio may not be all that. Gaming V Pure Audio

For what you want, even without the bass mod, I am sure you will be very impressed.

I am an audiophile and am very pleased with the PC-350 set. I did the Bass Mod <-- that is the bass mod link right there --  because I could. If you are a 'Bass Head' then you might too (yeah I know, high quality phones and I am listening to Limp Bizkit -- whatever...). I can assure you I was was impressed by the audio even before my urge to personalize. I have always ripped everything apart then made it to my liking.

Do not take anyone's word on this. See if you can test them side by side before buying. 

My personal opinion is - You have the all in one solution you're looking for, with superb quality, using a PC-3X0 headset.

Regards
David

Mar 11, 2012 at 7:16 AM Post #8 of 11
i have been wondering. i have a Logitech Z 5500 digital sound system hooked up with optical. might this work as some sort of amp/sound card? because the volume switch has input for headphones at the side and i do hear some difference if i connect my headphones.

Also can somebody explain what nominal impedance mean or also know as the Ω logo?

Mar 11, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
I have been wondering. i have a Logitech Z 5500 digital sound system hooked up with optical. might this work as some sort of amp/sound card? because the volume switch has input for headphones at the side and i do hear some difference if i connect my headphones.
Also can somebody explain what nominal impedance mean or also know as the Ω logo?

The Logitech Z5500 is not the best choice to use as a headphone amplifier.
Get the Asus Xonar DX, comes with a S/PDIF optical output and will work with the headphones that have been talked about in this thread.

Mar 11, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #11 of 11

[size=10pt]Ordered a Sennheiser PC-360 G4ME headset for 154,50 Inc. shipping costs.[/size]

[size=10pt]Hope to get it very soon and post my impressions on these forums.[/size]

[size=10pt][/size]

[size=10pt]Thank you all for the advice :)[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back