What headphones?
Jul 26, 2005 at 12:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

JimmyDean

Head-Fier
I know its another "What should I get thread", but bear with me. I currently have MS-1s, and am about to make a huge upgrade to my system. Im going to be builing a nice M³, so that is my amplifier. My source is my computer with a gadget labs wave 8/24 soundcard. I like the ms-1s, and I suppose I am a fan of the Grado sound. I really want to get some better cans. My budget for the headphones alone is around $500-$600. I was thinking I wanted to try senns, such as 650s with a cardas cable. I thought that it would be a big "try" if I didnt like them ($480ish). So, what should I be looking for? MS-2s? RS-1, RS-2, MSpro? Different kind of can entirely?

Jul 26, 2005 at 12:52 AM Post #2 of 7
well, I dun know how good your soundcard is, so you may wanna take some of that cash and put it there. (check out the computer-audio forums for info)

Consider a sr-325i or ms2i, as many have stopped at those points and have been quite happy. Or you could try a stock HD650, just to see if you like the sound signature. There are other options, i.e. the beyer dt770 (if you love bass) or something of the akg line. Maybe even the beyer dt880, (nice soudnstage with a something forwar/high treble, somewhat gradoey). Not good for hard rock though.

Jul 26, 2005 at 12:57 AM Post #3 of 7
You should certainly consider moving up the Grado ladder. MS-2's would be a nice improvement. Or used RS-2/1, MS-Pros should be certainly a consideration too

Or you could go with complementary cans like the HD650, or DT880 with Cardas upgrades, both of which provide a different sort of sound than any Grado. That'd be what I'd do.

Jul 26, 2005 at 1:21 AM Post #5 of 7
yeah . . the question is, does is sound great? (sorry I suck at reading graphs)
tongue.gif
Relative to other "audiophile" soundcards. Now go spend more and more and more money til you're broke. NOW

Jul 26, 2005 at 1:23 AM Post #6 of 7
It does indeed sound great. Completely blows my onboard (soundstorm) out of the water. It retailed at $699 new, so I hope it sounds great
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 26, 2005 at 1:45 AM Post #7 of 7
I personally prefered the SR 225s vs the RS-1s. Not trying to knock them all, I just found the SR225s bass impact and mids to be better IMHO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back