What headphones would you recommend?
Nov 18, 2013 at 3:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

p0wah

New Head-Fier
Hey,

So with the holidays coming up, i would like to get my brother some nice headphones that he can use on his PC. We're pretty much alike when it comes to music tastes and gaming. We both like Hip Hop, RnB, Rap (Bear in mind that although we like these genres, we're not bass-heads. He wants something that isnt over-powering) but also enjoy Metal and Rock. We both play FPS games mostly so the headphones will need some pretty good soundstage. So i guess im just looking for a great all-rounder. Maximum price is £120, im a little tight on money right now so i can budge much. I have looked at the Sennheiser HD558 and the CAL! 2 but due to the CAL! 2 being new, there isnt much info on it. Any other recommendations?

Needs to be full-size.
Needs to be £120 or less.
Needs to have good build quality.
Needs to have great soundstage. (so i assume its gonna be an open headphone?)
Needs to be able to be powered by the ASUS Xonar DG

Thanks!

Nov 18, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #2 of 19
No one (except possibly an insider) can tell you about a can that has not yet hit the market.

I don't know your specific sound card, but the HD 558 is an excellent can and a very fine all arrounder.  At 50 Ohms and a sensitivity rating of 112 dB, it's fairly easy to drive.

Nov 18, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #3 of 19
  No one (except possibly an insider) can tell you about a can that has not yet hit the market.

I don't know your specific sound card, but the HD 558 is an excellent can and a very fine all arrounder.  At 50 Ohms and a sensitivity rating of 112 dB, it's fairly easy to drive.

Yeah thats the problem with the CAL! 2, there was a thread over in the Full-Size Headphones section and im keeping my eye on that and see what a few more people say. If you have any other recommendations, please let me know!

Thanks!

Nov 18, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #5 of 19
The hd558 doesn't sound great with those genres, but its great for gaming.

Id go for the DT990 most definitely. If not those, then the dt770. If not those... Hmm. The hd558.

Nov 18, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #6 of 19
The hd558 doesn't sound great with those genres, but its great for gaming.

Id go for the DT990 most definitely. If not those, then the dt770. If not those... Hmm. The hd558.

Hmmm those DT990s seem pretty damn nice, thats a good suggestion. I may just end up going with that. I think i read on here that the Xonar DG should be ok for them.

Thanks! 

Nov 18, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #7 of 19
What do people think of the Sony MDR-MA900? How would they compare to the DT990 Pros? They seem much easier to power but at the same time they seem a little flimsy. Anyone had experience with both and can compare?

Thanks once again!

Nov 18, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #8 of 19
I might rethink that option. Asus' soundcards are a bit brighter in general and pairing it with what's already a very treble happy headphone might not be a very good idea. Maybe consider the dt880s, it has a sound that most people could appreciate

Nov 18, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #9 of 19
  I might rethink that option. Asus' soundcards are a bit brighter in general and pairing it with what's already a very treble happy headphone might not be a very good idea. Maybe consider the dt880s, it has a sound that most people could appreciate

DT 880s are out of my price range unfortunately. 
frown.gif

Nov 18, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #13 of 19
  Good full size open headphones under 130 pounds is a bit unrealistic

For full size closed - look at Creative Aurvana Live!
For earpad open - look at Sennheiser HD 239

Sorry for double post, I didnt notice your reply. I dont think he would mind closed full-size headphones as long as they have above average soundstage.

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #14 of 19
I recommend looking into the for sale listings on Head-Fi as well as ebay, if you haven't already.  On ebay, I literally just purchased a DT 880 Premium 250 ohm for US$145, which was cheaper than I've seen anywhere else.  If you are persistent (obsessive) you will find a very good price at some point for whatever headphones you choose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back