What headphones were completely transformed for the better when you applied EQ?
Jun 7, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #32 of 49
I tried this and didn’t have the greatest results. I’m listening to fast metal though. The bass was a bit bloated and rounded off
Why would you want a "club-amount" of sub-bass for metal? This for sure only sounds good with dubstep and crap where you need boosted bass... Metal lives in the mids.

My settings are, 1st knob maxed, 2nd knob at 3 O clock, knob 3 at 10 O clock, and knob 4 at 10 O clock. From here I can blast the volume pretty well to get the bass to vibrate my soul.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021 at 1:49 AM Post #33 of 49
Why would you want a "club-amount" of sub-bass for metal? This for sure only sounds good with dubstep and crap where you need boosted bass... Metal lives in the mids.

My settings are, 1st knob maxed, 2nd knob at 3 O clock, knob 3 at 10 O clock, and knob 4 at 10 O clock. From here I can blast the volume pretty well to get the bass to vibrate my soul.
Good point haha. One reason is the amount of joy I get out of my m50x makes me think I can get something better.

another reason is this idea if I am going bass heavy, I can turn it up louder without killing my hearing.

I might be chasing my tail, as you’re saying with the mids. When it’s bass heavy, the mids get gobbled up.

th900 should get here Wednesday..

Jun 8, 2021 at 10:58 PM Post #34 of 49
m50x? yuck :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Jun 9, 2021 at 12:16 AM Post #36 of 49
Think about all the room for improvement that exists. I was already let down by the LCD-X so I figured I’d get something closer to what I already like
I worry for you. :frowning2:

Jun 10, 2021 at 3:34 AM Post #38 of 49
The LCD-MX4 will give you a mild concussion if you give it enough clean power and lift the bass. The low-end technical prowess of the MX4 is something few owners get to experience now that EQ seems to be less and less common.

Jun 10, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #39 of 49
The Sennheiser HD58x can have a hilarious amount of sub-bass when EQ'd with a schiit loki - especially for an open back. So much so to where I sold my sz2000 bass-canons because they were no longer needed.

The HD58x with a heavy EQ are now my go-to for the rare occasions I am listening to bass heavy music like dubstep or whatever bass heavy electronic music.
Yes I have the same experience with the 58X. It equalizes extremely well, and the bass is very tight and punchy already, outperforming the HD600 and 650 in that regard. With EQ it's the best HD6 series Sennheiser I've heard, and it's my go to all rounder headphone.

Probably the most transformed headphone I've heard with EQ is actually an earbud, the VE Zen 2.0. It's a little too humped in the upper-mid bass and not extended enough in the air treble region, at least with the foams on. But lowering the mid bass, raising the treble above 10kHz, and adding more sub bass, it's a completely different earbud that performs as well as some open backs I've heard. I did increase the treble and sub bass by 9 dB, but somehow these earbuds can handle it with no distortion!

Jun 24, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #41 of 49
I would be interested in using EQ, but I have no clue what software to use or if some create more distortion than others or not.

Is software based EQ the best way to go and what do you guys recommend using in that regard?

Jun 24, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #42 of 49
I would be interested in using EQ, but I have no clue what software to use or if some create more distortion than others or not.

Is software based EQ the best way to go and what do you guys recommend using in that regard?
I use Roon to create parametric eq profiles for each of my headphones. It allows for precise adjustment of peaks/dips/shelves etc, and you can also lower the preamp headroom to prevent clipping.

Jun 24, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #45 of 49
I use Roon to create parametric eq profiles for each of my headphones. It allows for precise adjustment of peaks/dips/shelves etc, and you can also lower the preamp headroom to prevent clipping.
That sounds like a good option for me to look into.
Can EQ be used to make headphones sound exactly similar?
No. Can only make the FR graphs align. Many other characteristics which make a headphone sound a certain way remain unchanged.
That was a great question. I really was curious about that part too.

Thanks guys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back