What headphones to buy under $500?
Dec 27, 2013 at 2:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

theriseoftroy

Head-Fier
Hey all, 

I'm in the market for a new set of headphones around the $500 mark. I've been looking at the AKG K712, HD600-650, Beyerdynamic T90, and the AKG K702 65th anniversaries. I listen to lots of jazz, classical, ambient, electronic, and latin. Could anyone point me in the right direction as far as finding a set of headphones to satisfy my musical taste? I also go to school for audio engineering and production, so something that is good for critical listening would be beneficial.

Thanks guys

Dec 27, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #3 of 19
I've used the Sennheisers and K702. HD600 and K702 are more neutral, and HD650 has some more bass. K702 sounds more open than the Senns, has better soundstage, and might be a little more resolving. I prefer it for orchestral. For everything else, the choice between K702 and HD600 is a matter of taste. Given your experience in audio, you'll probably prefer the more accurate HD600 to HD650. Why do you want the annie instead of the regular K702?

Dec 27, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #4 of 19
Yeah you hit the nail on the head by saying I'd prefer a more accurate sound. Ive heard that he 650s are tuned to be a bit easier to listen to than the 600s. The main reason why I mentioned the annies is because I heard they have a more forward bass than the 702s, and honestly I am a bit of an AKG fanboy. Although I've heard nothing but good things about the beyerdynamic T90s and how they handle textured strings and woodwinds.

Dec 27, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #5 of 19
Yeah you hit the nail on the head by saying I'd prefer a more accurate sound. Ive heard that he 650s are tuned to be a bit easier to listen to than the 600s. The main reason why I mentioned the annies is because I heard they have a more forward bass than the 702s, and honestly I am a bit of an AKG fanboy. Although I've heard nothing but good things about the beyerdynamic T90s and how they handle textured strings and woodwinds.

I don't find HD650 easier to listen to because of its bass, but that's a matter of preference. I really enjoy HD600 for its accuracy and am considering buying it, but so far I've decided it would be too similar to K702. Both Senns have a more closed, contained sound than K702. The annie is warmer than the regular version, but that effect has been attributed to the annie's memory foam earpads. You can buy K702 + annie earpads and save much money. There are disagreements about which headband is more comfortable, and neither has bothered me. (I never had the 7 bump version.) I haven't heard T90, but those reports are consistent with the treble of the other Beyers I've heard.

Dec 27, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #6 of 19

Well as a Beyer DT 880 fan, I can say the T90 should be every bit of BETTER than my dt 880, and for Jazz, Classical and Latin the DT 880 is my go to! Plus your using the Hybrid Tube EFA2 correct, tubes and Beyers get along nicely :3 

So I'd say go for the T90! 

Dec 27, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #7 of 19
All I'll say is, look into the SoundMAGIC HP200. I've heard it myself, and now own a pair, and you'll be getting more for your money than ever before. People are saying that these headphones are pretty much a fun sounding HD650, and you know how people feel about the 650's. 

Dec 27, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #8 of 19
  All I'll say is, look into the SoundMAGIC HP200. I've heard it myself, and now own a pair, and you'll be getting more for your money than ever before. People are saying that these headphones are pretty much a fun sounding HD650, and you know how people feel about the 650's. 

Ive heard about the SoundMAGIC HP200, though I'm more looking for an open set because I already own a decent closed set.

Dec 27, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #9 of 19

I really enjoyed the Sound Magic HP 100... I'd be interested in hearing a 200. Although I had a REV1 HP 100, one of the ones from the very first batch in 2012... mine was very sterile... but with wonderful sub bass extentsion. It sounds like the newer HP 100 and the 200 trail away from that sound sig 

Still Sound Magic makes a good headphone! 

Dec 27, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #10 of 19
  Well as a Beyer DT 880 fan, I can say the T90 should be every bit of BETTER than my dt 880, and for Jazz, Classical and Latin the DT 880 is my go to! Plus your using the Hybrid Tube EFA2 correct, tubes and Beyers get along nicely :3 

So I'd say go for the T90! 

How does your dt880 fair with these genres? I was researching them and the soundstage looked fantastic (on paper at least). The dt880s would save me some money as well!

Dec 27, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #11 of 19
  I really enjoyed the Sound Magic HP 100... I'd be interested in hearing a 200. Although I had a REV1 HP 100, one of the ones from the very first batch in 2012... mine was very sterile... but with wonderful sub bass extentsion. It sounds like the newer HP 100 and the 200 trail away from that sound sig 

Still Sound Magic makes a good headphone! 

I've heard the HP100, and they are somewhat different to that of the HP200. The HP200's have a wider soundstage and don't sound as warm and bassy as the HP100's did. More so, the HP200 has more to the treble than the HP100 ever had.

Dec 27, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #12 of 19
  How does your dt880 fair with these genres? I was researching them and the soundstage looked fantastic (on paper at least). The dt880s would save me some money as well!

It does very well, the T90 is the linear upgrade to the DT 880. Meaning if you can GO T90, other wise you'll wind up like me trying to save up for the T90 xD.

But yea the DT 880 and T90 share a very simmilar sound, ofc the T90 does everything the DT 880 does well a bit better. So, in effect anything the T90 is good with, the DT 880 is as well. Just ofc the T90 is better... but only by small margins

Oh I hate to say this but... take some of that extra cash sell off your EF2A and get your self a Schiit Modi and Schiit Vali! I LOVE my Vali with the DT 880, not to mention the EF2A is a nice combo but... I would bet my money that the schiit stack offers a better sound overall. A higher quality dac and in the very awesome Vali! 

I've heard the HP100, and they are somewhat different to that of the HP200. The HP200's have a wider soundstage and don't sound as warm and bassy as the HP100's did. More so, the HP200 has more to the treble than the HP100 ever had.

Again that depends on teh version, My REV1 was very wide and very airy, but I'd imagine an open headphone would be wider, how ever a lot of members here with newer HP 100 report them being warmer, which would detract from the treble

Still is the Hp200 almost HE 400 like in sound? 

Dec 27, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #13 of 19

I don't find HD650 easier to listen to because of its bass, but that's a matter of preference. I really enjoy HD600 for its accuracy and am considering buying it, but so far I've decided it would be too similar to K702. Both Senns have a more closed, contained sound than K702. The annie is warmer than the regular version, but that effect has been attributed to the annie's memory foam earpads. You can buy K702 + annie earpads and save much money. There are disagreements about which headband is more comfortable, and neither has bothered me. (I never had the 7 bump version.) I haven't heard T90, but those reports are consistent with the treble of the other Beyers I've heard.

I went to a store and tried both the 600s and the 650s, the 600s were definitely more honest sounding to me. I preferred their slightly livelier sound as opposed to the 650s smoothness, but the difference was not too transparent but that could be because I was in a retail store and it wasnt the ideal listening environment. My buddy has the k702s and I love their sound, but I'm not sure if I like them better than the 600s.

Dec 27, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #14 of 19

Again that depends on teh version, My REV1 was very wide and very airy, but I'd imagine an open headphone would be wider, how ever a lot of members here with newer HP 100 report them being warmer, which would detract from the treble

Still is the Hp200 almost HE 400 like in sound? 

Yeah, I see what you mean, but what I'm saying is that, the general sig of the HP100 is overall warm. As of the HP200, I found it to be more neutral, and it had equally low lows, as it did with high sparkly treble. It's what I would call an "energetic neutral", where it isn't flat sounding, but it's got the oomph to it.

As of the HP200 Vs. HE-400, I have yet to hear the HE-400's, but there are many comparisons directly aimed towards the HD650's (which I haven't tried either). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back