What Headphones should you buy? Thoughts on Deciding on the Sound you like
Feb 5, 2015 at 10:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ActiveTechREV

New Head-Fier
As I've been doing research on this site, I've come across several frequency response charts and then stumbled upon the charts done by innerfidelity.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-data-sheet-downloads

They seem to have a lot of the popular headphones reviewed, tested and charted.  I think it would good to check the chart of some headphones you own that and like and then find a similar chart to give you a sense of how similar or different it would sound.

Like the dt 770 has some peaks over in the higher frequency range which is probably why they hurt my ear.

When I went to check a favorite pair of headphones I loved in the past like the se530's, you can see how the sounds in the higher frequency range are lower.

For anyone that's well experienced with headphones, I'd like you to share your thoughts on this idea. thanks.

Feb 5, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #2 of 5
My portable kit: Etymotic HF5, JDS Labs C5D, iPad2. The sound is superb. C5D might seem a bit pricey, but i am appreciating its dollar value everytime I listen to 24bit 96khz music, or even regular digital content online. Very compact, very little to no hiss, crisp detailed sound.

Feb 6, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #3 of 5
You are headed in the wrong direction if you are picking headphones from such charts.  They can also be found at Golden Ears, Headroom and other places.  They can be a helpful tool, but there is no substitute for using your ears to administer the final examination.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back