What Headphones Satisfy Most Of The FF Descriptions (from the Glossary)?
May 11, 2009 at 4:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

lastdodobird

Head-Fier
I got these terms from the "Describing Sound - A Glossary" thread.

I'm not necessarily looking for recommendations, so disregard choice of music and current listening gear and just take the headphones for what they are, everything else considered equal.

So... Just out of curiosity, what headphones satisfy most of the ff criteria?

IS:
Airy
Full-Bodied
Open (referring to the sound, not the make)
Dark
Wet
Fat
Warm
Gentle
Laid-back
Lush
Rich
Smooth
Sweet

IS NOT:
Bright
Crisp
Thin
Dry
Edgy
Harsh
Shrill
Sibilant
Sizzly
Steely
Thin

May 11, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #2 of 10
IS...The 650/DX1000/501 and maybe the L3000.. But Lost on the 'wet' and 'fat' part.
The IS not.. The SA5000/DT48/DT880/900ST "sizzly', 'steely'.

Ever phone I listed doesn't share every trait, but find them to be close enough in most areas.

May 11, 2009 at 6:48 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ever phone I listed doesn't share every trait, but find them to be close enough in most areas.

That's the idea.
icon10.gif
Thanks!

May 11, 2009 at 8:47 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IS...The 650/DX1000/501 and maybe the L3000.. But Lost on the 'wet' and 'fat' part.
The IS not.. The SA5000/DT48/DT880/900ST "sizzly', 'steely'.

501 as in K501? If so, it definitely doesn't fit his description as it's neither warm nor dark and certainly on the bright and thin side of things. However, I love it.
tongue.gif

May 11, 2009 at 9:00 AM Post #7 of 10
^ If the HD650 sastisfies, does the HD580/HD600 satisfy those descriptions too? Even if to a lesser extent?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm...I'm kinda lost on wet myself. But the AT full-sized woodies, maybe? Of markl modded Denons?

Well, as far as the glossary describes it:

Wet - A reverberant sound.
Fat - Full and Warm.

May 12, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by lastdodobird /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Haha alright then. Do Senns in general apply?

They definitely do. The Sennheiser sound signature tends to be warm, musical, slightly laid-back, tonally rich, and yet airy with a sense of openness. What they somewhat sacrifice for these traits is intimacy, PRaT and visceral bass, making them un-ideal for most genres of rock.

I've found jazz, vocals, and instrumental works in general to sound terrific on Senns. They just sadly underperform when you try them with Metallica
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back