What headphones next
Aug 22, 2007 at 12:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

XENOPHOS

100+ Head-Fier
I have a the k701 right now and I love it but lately i've been craving a phone that would get me more invovled into the music....well maybe invovled isn't the word but a more fun can is what i'm looking for.
I was thinking of getting some grados cause I could bring them along with me pretty easily but is the sr225 in the same league as the 701 or would that be more along the lines of rs-2/rs-1.
I have a heed canamp and i've heard the hd650 synergizing with them but what other cans would be good with it.

Aug 22, 2007 at 12:58 PM Post #2 of 16
I rather look at the SR-325i and MS2i as being in the same league as K701.

The HD600 is another one that is an equal, that are somewhat brighter than HD650.

Aug 22, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #4 of 16
It seems like one persons fun and involving headphone is anothers intolerable and earsplitting phone. I personally wouldn't attribute the HD650 as 'fun' and 'involving', more like 'very good' and 'balanced' but slightly boring, to my ears at least. Of the phones I have tried Grado would be the ones I called involving.

Aug 23, 2007 at 8:45 AM Post #8 of 16
The 325is were very involving to me, bringing the music front and center. I'm currently debating $300~ 'phones, and those might have won if they were more comfortable. I, for one, find the Grado bowl pads to be horribly uncomfortable for such expensive headphones.

Right now I'm waiting on a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 990s, as I've read opinions here claiming that they're like the DT 880s, only with a greater emphasis on bass and slightly more relaxed highs. Seeing as the DT 880 is often directly compared to the K701, my guess is that the DT 990 might be a good idea for you as well.

Just a thought!
wink.gif

Aug 23, 2007 at 9:00 AM Post #10 of 16
Up to you; I certainly haven't heard the 990 yet, nor have I heard the Denon, so I can't say anything there either way. One thing to keep in mind is that the Beyer is open, with the Denon being closed. That's a big negative on the Denon for me, but it might fit you well - I'm not sure which you'd prefer.

Out of curiosity, do you recall where you found a comparison between the Denon and the DT 990?

Aug 23, 2007 at 9:17 AM Post #11 of 16
You know you want Grado's!!!

K701's are something special though. SR225's are a bit rough n tough sounding in comparison to the K701's silk. It's a great contrast, but I really cant tell you which Grado is for you.

Aug 23, 2007 at 10:22 AM Post #13 of 16
The Grado/Alessandro bowl pads can be a problem for some at first....ok; and maybe later too....but my experience is that they do get more comfortable after a couple weeks time.

It's worth it, I think. I can now wear mine till the tunes run out!

.....some folks dive right on in and never have a problem from day one.
tongue.gif

Aug 23, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #14 of 16
Really? Don't your ears press right against the headphones themselves? I thought that pads were meant to be, well, pads. My ears get pretty raw after a few hours on my (about to be returned) 325is.

I really liked them, too. Ah well.

Aug 24, 2007 at 12:11 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by XENOPHOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^^ totally right
I was thinking of selling my heed and getting a maple tree mad ear
and an rs-1.....but then again that $1000 later
tongue.gif

find a meet and demo that duo before that kind of investment. don't sell your Heed short; I must tell you , however, it does not do well with my wife's SR225s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back