What headphones next for an HD555 guy?
Mar 12, 2008 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ropeadope

100+ Head-Fier
I wanted to avoid making one of these "recommend some headphones for me" threads but you guys are so good at it
smily_headphones1.gif
. Also, I only buy headphones once every 2-3 years, so I figured I might as well get some input specifically for me. I've already got the most I can out of searching this forum. Basically I want to get something based on my likes, and my setup.

Here's what I've got going now:

Audigy 2 ZS->IXOS audio cables (?)->headsave classic v2 amp->Senn HD 555s

I really like this setup, and have used it for a long time. I don't know if the amp/555s just go amazingly together or what, but they sound great. Always room for improvement though. What areas need improvement I can't say for sure, but hopefully when I get my next pair of headphones, I'll see what I've been missing.

I am pretty satisfied with this setup I have now, but, these headphones are falling apart they're so used. I've actually had the left side wrapped in tape for the last 7-8 months.

Since my HD555s we're getting really cracked up I bought some AKG-K701s about 6 months ago. I wasn't too thrilled with them, I thought they were maybe 5% better than my HD-555s, not to mention the K701s broke and AKG's customer service was really bad. So, I had to get rid of those recently.

Anyways, I think sticking with Sennheiser is probably the right choice for me, since I like my HD555s so much with this setup. The question is which phones will I "upgrade" to? 595s seem like an obvious choice, since they're so similar to the HD555s but give a little something more (at least that's what I've read). Maybe going two steps ahead and getting HD600 would be the way to go...maybe 3 steps ahead with the HD650s? Now I'm getting into "need a beefier amp" territory though. I can't afford a beefier amp, plus I really like my Headsave Classic.

I'm open to all recommendations though, doesn't have to be in the Sennheiser line. I've even had my eye on the Denon D2000s lately myself. Not so much since last night when I really had a great time rocking out with my HD-555s though
smily_headphones1.gif
. Made me realize I probably want to stick with Sennheiser.

I would very much appreciate any input. I use headphones A LOT in my daily life. Music and gaming. Lots of both. Thanks for reading, I tried to keep it short
redface.gif

Mar 12, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #2 of 9
Hi.. Before I put my thoughts, I would just like to add that I am not THE hi-fi dude.

I have the HD-555 or had, cause after several years of intensive usage, they are broken, the right ear broke off
redface.gif

I also had my looks on the HD-595, but then when I went down to my HI-FI store, I compared the HD-595 and the Denon AH-D2000, and WOW they are so different.
I am not good at explaining myself on English, but with the D2000 I just had that WOW feeling compared to the HD-595 "yes I know they're more expensive than the HD-959", but then wait. Wait untill you can afford the D2000 cause the comfort the sound and just the overall quality is "2000" times better.

Mar 13, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for that, I'll keep that in mind. 2000 times better is a bit of a stretch I'm sure
tongue.gif
, but I'll still keep a lookout for em.

Are you using a headphone amp, Kasper? From what I hear neither the 595s or d2000s really need an amp at all.

Mar 13, 2008 at 6:09 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ropeadope /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for that, I'll keep that in mind. 2000 times better is a bit of a stretch I'm sure
tongue.gif
, but I'll still keep a lookout for em.

Are you using a headphone amp, Kasper? From what I hear neither the 595s or d2000s really need an amp at all.

Nope, I am not using an AMP. When I plug them to my computer I plug them into my soundcard wich is a X-FI Xtreme Music card, and they play loud and clear.

Mar 14, 2008 at 7:35 AM Post #5 of 9
Well thanks again for the input, definitely helps since you had the HD-555s as well. Only difference is the left side is breaking off on mine
tongue.gif

Mar 14, 2008 at 7:55 AM Post #6 of 9
I say go with the senn 650s or denon d2000s. The 595s sound a little thinner than the 555s while being slightly more refined. Its less fun than the 555s IMO. Ive had both. The only place where the 555s annoyed me was with my headfive amp. the midbass was a little annoying. bad synergy I think

Mar 14, 2008 at 7:57 AM Post #7 of 9
The denons are probably less demanding of upstream electronics so I would probably start there if I wasn't planning of getting a great dac and high end amp soon.

Mar 14, 2008 at 12:08 PM Post #8 of 9
Id say look into the Audio Technica AD700. Similar sounding to the HD555 but with quite a bit more energy, speed, and detail to them. They are somewhat smooth and relaxed but can be fun when they need to be as well. Also great for gaming/movies.

Although I haven't heard them id also look into the d2000 and Goldring DR150.

Mar 14, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #9 of 9
One other thing i've been wondering is if the D2000s are bad at all for gaming? I've never used a closed headphone for gaming before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back