What headphones for dorm
Oct 17, 2007 at 10:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

foges

Head-Fier
Im heading off to college next year and im wondering what to do about music, basically whenever my computer is on, itunes is running and playing music, but im afraid that in a dorm my music could be annoying for others if i have it running the whole time or other things could distract me whilst working on my computer.

so im looking for some over the ear
3000smile.gif
headphones that have very good soundquality (i want something resembling my sure e4c's, but with some more bass, they cant be too bass heavy though). They should also be rather good at blocking out external noise. As well as being comfortable...

Oct 17, 2007 at 12:34 PM Post #2 of 8
Check out ATH-ES7's. Very highly regarded on the forum. I use mine at work all day and don't get complaints from coworkers about disturbing them. Very good sound and really nice looking. Portable and don't require amplification.

Oct 17, 2007 at 1:04 PM Post #3 of 8
I'm afraid we'll need a little more info, such as what types of music you listen to, some examples so we have something to work off, and your budget. There are a number of fairly comfortable Circumaural (over the ear) pairs that we all could recommend.

With that, we'll be able to pinpoint the best pair for you (or at least try our darndest).

Nylan

Oct 17, 2007 at 2:36 PM Post #4 of 8
For the most i listen to prety relaxed rock music:

Red Hot chili Peppers
Avril Lavigne
David Grey
The Fray
The Offspring
Vanessa Mae

I dont listen to anything heavier than System of a Down.

I dont want the bass to be too heavy, else it is just going to annoy me, just slightly more than the e4c's can offer.

My Budget is around 200$ i dont mind getting used though.

Ill check out the ATH-ES7's

Oct 17, 2007 at 3:11 PM Post #5 of 8
Yuin PK-1 if you got amp
Yuin PK-2 if you don't

Oct 17, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #6 of 8
I would say, based on reviews at Head-fi, the favorite "go-to" headphone for around $200 would be the Sennheiser HD25-1 and all it's variants. Based on reviews (Skylab's "Sub $150 headphone review" being one of them) the HD-25 sounds like the most suitable option for comfort and sound quality. Some folk have even recently been getting some pretty amazing deals on this 'phone, so I would do a search and check out reviews and places to buy.

The "for sale" forum is always another place to look.

Hope the suggestion helps,

Nylan

Oct 17, 2007 at 10:30 PM Post #7 of 8
thanks guys

@Capunk: Im really looking for over the ear headphones, I already have IEM's, so i dont think the Yuin's would add anything.

@nylan8301: I just read the review of those headphones in this forum and they dont really seem to be the right ones for me. In the conclusion it says that the main benefit of these is portability and i really am not going to be taking them around much, it also says that they excell at hip-hop which i dont listen to at all. It also says that they arnt the most comfortable, comfort is an absolute must of me as ill probably be having them on for long periods of time. I think id prefer some that go completely over the ear.

Any opinions on the AKG 271? (is it the same as the AKG K 271?)

Oct 18, 2007 at 9:09 AM Post #8 of 8
What is the difference between the AKG K 271 and the AKG HSD 271? Anything else than that teh AKG HSD 271 has a microphone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back