What Headphones For Audio-GD Compass?
Jun 14, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #2 of 12
FWIR, the Compass was developed with Denons in mind. 

Jun 14, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #3 of 12
I'd probably pick the cans before the amp so you get the sound sig you want. What are your music preferences?
That being said the Denons really do well with a nice solid state.

Jun 14, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #4 of 12
I'd deter you from headphones known to be boring or excessively analytical. Imo what the compass does well is a sense of natural sound, but its hdam's have "predictable" coloration which can get fatiguing if you are using boring studio headphones. I enjoy the compass very much with my more forgiving and fun headphones.

Jun 14, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #5 of 12
Well I was looking at the DT990's for the more "Fun" sound.  In all honest I'm getting the Compass because I know it's a very versatile amp that is a great DAC/AMP combo. 

Like most I listen to just about every Genre.  Jazz, Electronica/Trance/Techno, Acoustic, Rock, Alternative, Alternative Rock, mostly a lot of laid back stuff.  I prefer warmer tones, but that being said I don't wanna mess around with Tube Amps.

Jun 14, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #6 of 12
I do recall reading in a review by someone here that it does better with low impendance phones, but I'm very happy with how it sounds with my (300 ohm) HD600s.

Jun 14, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #8 of 12
Headphones have a much bigger impact on the sound than amplifiers do, anyone who matches for synergy is imo really quite picky. Amplifier matching is more tweaking for imperfections, a different amplifier won't turn a HD650 into a K701 or anything like that, new headphones on the hand start you off on a few canvas... With a good SS amp with a HD600 will give you.... a HD600. A slightly warm SS amp will give you a HD600 with a more low-end. That's it.  

Jun 15, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #9 of 12
While I haven't tried the Denons (2000, 5000, or 7000), I have lots of experience with the 2005 DT990 250ohms.  There have been many reviews about how the 990s are overly bassy and have a problem with sibilance, which I find to be true with some amps, but not all.  The 990 can be very sibilant with some solid state amps like the Corda Headfive, but this is not at all a problem with the Compass.  With the Compass I find the 990s to still have a strong bass presence, although not overwhelming to my ears.  The problem with sibilance is almost nonexistent in my setup. 
I listen to many different types of music, although primarily rock, blues, funk, jazz, and the like.  I find that the Compass and 990 pair well with this music to give it a very fun sound, although not in any way neutral. 

In short, I really like the combo, but if you want more info, I reviewed the Compass and its HDAMs with the 990s in much greater depth in the Compass thread.  You can find that review here

I'm sure you'll enjoy the Compass no matter which headphones you choose! 

Jun 15, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #10 of 12
I had also looked into the 990's in a 600Ohm version.  I guess my only question is that would the more flat frequency response from the Ohm difference even out the can?  I'm not really one for a setup that's completely flat but....I'm just curious how much of a change there is.  Also wouldn't the DT990's be better off paired with a tube amp?

Jun 15, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #11 of 12
My Grado HF-2's go brilliantly with my Compass. I'd suggest that if you could find a good deal...

Jun 15, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #12 of 12
Oh, to qualify: my comments on amplifiers only applies to those technically competent for the given headphone. And therefore it doesn't apply to most mobile devices' internal headphone amplifiers or voltage hungry headphones and portable amplifiers... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back