What headphones for a Denon D2000 fan?
Nov 8, 2013 at 7:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ropeadope

100+ Head-Fier
Hey! Dang I've almost been registered here 10 years.

So I've been getting by on budget phones ($20 AKG K44s) for some time now, and they are great budget/backup phones, but I should really get something nice for my main pair. I had Denon D2000s for 4 years before they broke. I liked those a lot. D2000s are really hard to find these days, and really expensive if you do find em. Even if they were still available for the right price, I like to try out different headphones. You might like your Car but not want to drive the same thing for the rest of your life :) - But, I would still like something similar, nothing drastically different. Gotta be comfy as hell. I also loves me some treble. Gotta stay under $300. Wouldn't mind $100 or $200 phones either.

I was hoping maybe someone here who was a D2000 fan and went on to use some other phones that they also really enjoyed. Or even if you haven't tried the D2000s you can still recommend something and I'll be appreciative.

Some other notes: I listen to all my music on my computer. I have an old Headsave Classic V2 AMP (from about 10 years ago :p) - Thanks a bajillion!

Nov 8, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #2 of 11
The AKG K550 sounds similar enough to the AH-D2000 to be my first recommendation.

If you can use them an open headphone like the AKG K712 or Q701 might be another great buy.

Nov 8, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #3 of 11
The Momentum comes closest to what I've heard.  No offense, but there are very few headphones out there that equal the D2000 for closed-type.  I don't agree that the AKG 550 are similar - they are not.

You might try B&H Photo - they still have D5000's in their stock.  Yeah, it is tons more expensive than the D2000, but it's the only "real" alternative from Denon.  Other than that, IMHO, is the Fostex* TH-600 or TH-900 and they're even more expensive - by a lot.

* Fostex made the original D2000, D5000, and D7000 headphones.  Their business relationship with Denon was not continued, so they made the Fostex TH-600 and TH-900 instead.  Denon, meanwhile, contracted with someone else and had much less favorable results.  FYI, this story is all detailed on http://www.innerfidelity.com .

Nov 8, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #4 of 11
Like you I registered on head-fi almost 10 years ago, when the D2000s were really the flavor of the month! It's gratifying to think that they really have stood the test of time.

I bought the D2000s back in the day, and then upgraded to the D5000s. It was, to be honest, a fairly modest upgrade. But they still are a great sounding headphone.

At a recent meet I heard the Fostex TH-900s and they are quite clearly the logical successor to the original Dx000 series, albeit a really noticeable step up in quality. And not only do they isolate better than the Dx000, but they sound so open, it's amazing. Almost like an open headphone. Still, quite expensive, to say the least.

For comparable money to the D2000s, I think the Momentums would be my choice these days. Don't be put off by the "portable" label on these, they sound amazing. And there's a lot of good reports going around about the KEF M500s, NAD HP50, Focal Spirit, etc etc.

It's a good time to be buying headphones in the $300 range.

Nov 9, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #5 of 11
many thanks for the replies. I definitely couldn't spend $500-$1500 on headphones...although if i could I would :)

The Momentums look really snazzy, they might be the one. Though I've already read a few things about them being a bit uncomfortable, which would be a dealbreaker. Depends person to person, most likely.

No one mentioned the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pros, I guess they aren't too similar to the Denon D2000s?

Nov 10, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #7 of 11
Nov 10, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #9 of 11
  The Momentum comes closest to what I've heard.  No offense, but there are very few headphones out there that equal the D2000 for closed-type.  I don't agree that the AKG 550 are similar - they are not.

You might try B&H Photo - they still have D5000's in their stock.  Yeah, it is tons more expensive than the D2000, but it's the only "real" alternative from Denon.  Other than that, IMHO, is the Fostex* TH-600 or TH-900 and they're even more expensive - by a lot.

* Fostex made the original D2000, D5000, and D7000 headphones.  Their business relationship with Denon was not continued, so they made the Fostex TH-600 and TH-900 instead.  Denon, meanwhile, contracted with someone else and had much less favorable results.  FYI, this story is all detailed on http://www.innerfidelity.com .

Had both the K550 and D2000 running from my home rig and they sound similar to me.

Nov 11, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #10 of 11
Thanks again. Now all my focus is on the NAD HP50 (what kinda name for a company is "NAD" :p ) - Gonna look into them more here on head-fi.

Nov 11, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #11 of 11
I like the sound of the NAD HP50.  The build, although somewhat plastic, is great.  They are definitely a fun and engaging headphone that fits really well.

Tyll had a bunch of cans laying around for test including the Sennheiser Momentum, Onkyo ES-HF300, and some of the new Philips headphones, and the NAD HP50 sounded the most engaging felt the most comfortable of the lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back