What headphones end in a right angle plug?
Jun 12, 2004 at 1:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

EyeAmEye

Aka: ulogin.
Hi all. Aside from the Sennheiser HD25 and MS1/MS2, what "audiophile" level headphones have right angle plugs? I'm asking in particular because I recently bought a Sharp DS70 MD player (quite a beautiful little thing btw), and mostly going ampless, I find straight plugs to be cumbersome, and seem to put pressure on the headphone jack.

So what cans open or closed, minus the eggo-style foldable ones, end in a right angle? Price isn't an issue, though I don't imagine the real high priced cans to meet this criteria anyway.

BTW, I listen mostly to metal/hard rock (Tool, Tiamat, Paradise Lost), so I'd take your general opinions of what right angle cans would suit my listening preferences. I currently own HD595, which I find to be very pleasing sound wize, so if there's anything out there similar in sound, I'd be most likely to look in that direction. Thanks in advance!

Jun 12, 2004 at 2:37 AM Post #2 of 13
audiophile headphone that have right angle plug? they contradicts according to my experience.

i can only think of the etymotic er4 and shure e5c, maybe the ur10 also has it.

Jun 12, 2004 at 3:03 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx
audiophile headphone that have right angle plug? they contradicts according to my experience.

Is there any particular reason for that? Does a right angle plug somehow affect the sound?
At any rate, maybe the phones I listed (HD-25, MS1, MS2) aren't considered audiophile quality? If not, then maybe I erred in using "audiophile" in the first place. Anything close in overall performance to HD25 would do, but I'd definately like something, if possible, that is closer in sound to the HD595, perhaps with a bit more bass.

Jun 12, 2004 at 3:26 AM Post #4 of 13
I believe phones that have a right angle plug are specifically designed for portable use, and therefore, are generally inferior to straight-in plug phones. If you require a right angle plug, your solution would be a right angle adaptor, rather than phones with a right angle plug.

Hope this helps.

Jun 12, 2004 at 3:43 PM Post #5 of 13
yeah, seems crazy to buy headphones because of the type of plug they have... i'd be chopping the end of the cable off my current ones and soldering on a right angle plug... beats the added bulk/increased stress on the socket of using an adaptor

Jun 12, 2004 at 5:31 PM Post #6 of 13
the UE10PROS have the small plug your looking for and they are the best headphones I have ever heard, see my review.
icon10.gif

Jun 12, 2004 at 5:42 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by zoot2boot
yeah, seems crazy to buy headphones because of the type of plug they have... i'd be chopping the end of the cable off my current ones and soldering on a right angle plug... beats the added bulk/increased stress on the socket of using an adaptor

Zoot2boot, considered doing as you suggested. Not sure how good I am with a DIY project, but it is a possibility. My Senn HD595 has curbed my urges at home, I just needed a portable phone for the MD player, and it seemed easier if I could find a good can with a right angle plug than to DIY.

Jun 12, 2004 at 5:57 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye
Zoot2boot, considered doing as you suggested. Not sure how good I am with a DIY project, but it is a possibility. My Senn HD595 has curbed my urges at home, I just needed a portable phone for the MD player, and it seemed easier if I could find a good can with a right angle plug than to DIY.

If you don't want to solder it up yourself, you could probably post a WTB in the for-sale section for a custom adapter cable with a right angle end. Or there're a couple of cable builders listed in Mall-fi. You're probably going to have a restricted selection if you pick a can based on the cable end.

Jun 12, 2004 at 6:12 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwax
If you don't want to solder it up yourself, you could probably post a WTB in the for-sale section for a custom adapter cable with a right angle end. Or there're a couple of cable builders listed in Mall-fi. You're probably going to have a restricted selection if you pick a can based on the cable end.

I knew going in it was going to be tough to find a good one. The HD25, which I owned for a while, offered excellent sound, but it was a shade to sterile for my taste. I may end going back to it though.

If I was to attempt to DIY my own right angle plug, it is very difficult? I've dealt with minor electronics modding before (modded an Xbox, Playstation, fixed a few minor problems on older PCDP's), never really did a rewiring type of job. Wish the search function was working, I'd do a search in the DIY section, see if I can get a better idea of what I need to do.

Jun 12, 2004 at 6:18 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye
I knew going in it was going to be tough to find a good one. The HD25, which I owned for a while, offered excellent sound, but it was a shade to sterile for my taste. I may end going back to it though.

If I was to attempt to DIY my own right angle plug, it is very difficult? I've dealt with minor electronics modding before (modded an Xbox, Playstation, fixed a few minor problems on older PCDP's), never really did a rewiring type of job. Wish the search function was working, I'd do a search in the DIY section, see if I can get a better idea of what I need to do.

There's a cable building sticky right at the top of the DIY forum. I haven't built a cable yet, but it looks easy to me -- now that I've just finished building my first amp.
cool.gif

Jun 13, 2004 at 2:14 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwax
There's a cable building sticky right at the top of the DIY forum. I haven't built a cable yet, but it looks easy to me -- now that I've just finished building my first amp.
cool.gif

Thanks Earwax, I'm going to take a look that sticky. If it doesn't look too difficult, I may try it. I'll start with some cheapo cans, work my way up. Thanks again!

Jun 13, 2004 at 7:04 PM Post #13 of 13
While maybe not audiophile, the Koss KSC35, PortaPro, KTX Pro1, KSC50, KSC55, etc., all end with a right angle plug. And a right angle plug is not inferior in design, it's just an alternate design for as one pointed out, portable setups where you want it in your pocket or some other tight space. The straight plug I believe is the general standard, thus why it is much more common.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back