What headphones can you make CIEMS out of?
Apr 28, 2012 at 10:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

cardboardhome

100+ Head-Fier
Basically what I'm trying to figure out is how you tell whether or not a pair of IEMS can be turned into a pair of Customs. I don't think it's possible with the ones I'm trying to use (monster turbines), but I thought i'd ask regardless. Thanks guys, I know it's a rather basic question. 

Apr 28, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #3 of 9
Not many companies reshell dynamic drivers, ones such as the Turbines, with the only company I'm aware of who reshell dynamic drivers is Unique Melody reshelling the IE8. But why not just buy an entry level custom? In my opinion, it is not worth reshelling the Turbines as there are many other better IEMs to reshell. 

Apr 28, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #4 of 9
Could you explain what BA type headphones are? Yeah, I know I'm a noob :D, i'm not very familiar with the terminology right now. The reason I want to reshell my turbines is because the cable broke, and I don't want to just throw them away even though I bought them for a very cheap price ($40 since they were refurbished). If you know any way to fix the cable, do tell. Thanks guys. 

Apr 28, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
Could you explain what BA type headphones are? Yeah, I know I'm a noob :D, i'm not very familiar with the terminology right now. The reason I want to reshell my turbines is because the cable broke, and I don't want to just throw them away even though I bought them for a very cheap price ($40 since they were refurbished). If you know any way to fix the cable, do tell. Thanks guys. 

There are two types of headphone transducers...
1. Dynamic
2. Balanced Armature (BA)

I don't think Turbines can be reshelled, as it's a Dynamic transducer... BA are usually much easier to reshell....
Recabling should be much easier...

Apr 29, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #8 of 9
No. I know you have to resolder the cable, but the rest I don't know. I once say a picture of recabled Coppers here, maybe you can find out who posted it and ask him/her.
Quote:
Alright, could someone link me to a tutorial for recabling a pair of monster turbines, or something similar? Thanks again guys. 

Apr 29, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #9 of 9
I remember a couple weeks back headfier shotgunshane had his DBA-02s recabled from someone. So there are companies and people who will take on such projects. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back