What headphones? ATH-M50 Shure 840 Grado SR80i Ultrasone hfi-580 etc...
Oct 12, 2011 at 1:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Goymer

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I have read numerous threads regarding headphones but haven't been able to come to a conclusion based on other peoples music choices.

I'll start off by telling you that my housemates own Alessandro MS-1 and Audio Technica ATH-ESW10 Japan so I have had the opportunity to test both of those out.

I find the MS-1s sound great for drums, guitars, 'real music' etc but can seem bright at times and the soundstage is very small and plays in the centre of your head as it were. I also find them a bit uncomfortable and would probably prefer over ear cups.

The ESW10 sound great for classical and electronic music to me, mids sound great but sometimes the bass seems to be a little muddy and the sound is overall much darker than the MS-1. I don't like it when bass is too heavy and much prefer clarity/quality. The soundstage is better than the MS-1 but this is a portable headphone. These are also try uncomfortable for me after a short time as they are on ear and press the back of my ear against my head.

My ears are fairly big I guess and stick out a tiny bit.

I was originally set on buying a pair od ATH-M50's due to the rave reviews I keep finding. However I have a feeling they would be better for electronic, trance and for people who love bass?

-Out of the 2 I have tested, I would assume the M50 would be more similar to the ESW10, what are the differences in sound?

I then found a review online from a guy who had used Grado SR80's for years and wanted some closed back phones, he tested the M50 and Ultrasone-580. He preferred the 580 in the end.

I would say I am looking for something in between the MS-1 and the ATH-ESW10. Overall I probably prefer the MS-1 for what I generally listen to, although I miss the ESW10 if listening to classical or electronic music.

I have also demo's the Bose Quietcomfort 15 in the apple store which I found very pleasant. Great comfort and smooth sound, however these are out of my budget. I'm not looking to spend more than £150.

I will mainly use them for home listening, closed may be preferred but I really don't mind as I would only use them out of the house if on the plane or long journeys.
I also game a bit and found the MS-1 sounded better than the ESW10 which sounded a bit confused and dark, although neither sounded great to be honest.
I probably want a bit more soundstage overall.

Does anyone have any recommendations that they think would fit to what I have mentioned? I like bass but more so sub-bass than thumping bass.

Thanks for your time

Oct 12, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #2 of 8
Other phones i've read about are the Beyerdynamic DT770 which should be comfortable but the impedance is a lot higher and I already read the bass is heavier than the M50 for e.g. Otherwise how are they in comparison?

Also the ATH-AD700, the looks put me off a bit and i've heard bass is non existant but great soundstage? To clarify, the bass in the MS-1 is fine, I could do with a bit more perhaps.

Oct 12, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #4 of 8
Hiya,
Thanks for your reply.
My budget is around £150 only so I think the D2000 is a bit too much.
Sub-bass is good of course but I wouldn't say it is a major requirement as such. More so I don't want boomy overpowering bass but good clarity and a nice soundstage.

Oct 12, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
Hiya,
Thanks for your reply.
My budget is around £150 only so I think the D2000 is a bit too much.Sub-bass is good of course but I wouldn't say it is a major requirement as such. More so I don't want boomy overpowering bass but good clarity and a nice soundstage. 

Heya,

Take a look at:

Fischer Audio FA-011 (bassy)
Fischer Audio FA-002 (neutral)
Beyer Dynamic DT880 PRO (neutral)
Beyer Dynamic DT990 PRO (bassy)
Sennheiser HD598 (neutral)
AKG K240 MK II (neutral)

Very best,

Oct 12, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #6 of 8
Excellent, thanks for the suggestions.
I've had a quick look into them.

I've noticed the DT880 are a bit out of my budget and the AKG K240 MK II are under half the price of those in the UK. Does the price reflect how they sound would you say? Would these need amping up?
The HD598 sounds a lot like the sound I am after judging from reviews.

Oct 13, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #7 of 8
The Fischers look promising, i've never heard of that brand before. I notice the FA-003 is well regarded and a lot cheaper than some of it's rivals. Though I can't see the 002 available to buy anywhere.

Oct 13, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #8 of 8
Just to update, i'm swaying more and more toward the HD 598 now. If there's a similar phone to this I could look at let me know. Also trying to justify buying D2000's but not sure how the sound compares to the 598 and would assume i'd need to amp the D2000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back