What headphones are right for me?
Jun 23, 2016 at 12:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

csthe

New Head-Fier
Hi, I’m looking for closed headphones that cancel out as much noise as possible. My budget is around $250, but I wouldn’t mind paying a bit more if necessary. I will primarily be using them for listening to music (indie&alternative pop/rock). The sound quality is the most important to me, I want to enjoy my music to the fullest. Thanks!

Jun 23, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #2 of 12
Problem is, you can't have the best noise canceling and the best sound quality in the same headphone. The Yamaha HPH-MT220 is my favorite closed-back headphone. If you want ultimate isolation and active canceling of many noises, the Bose QuietComfort series is your ticket, but the sound quality isn't so good. But as long as I'm not listening to very quiet music, I don't really notice all but the loudest environmental noises, even with open-back headphones.

Jun 23, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #3 of 12
  Problem is, you can't have the best noise canceling and the best sound quality in the same headphone. The Yamaha HPH-MT220 is my favorite closed-back headphone. If you want ultimate isolation and active canceling of many noises, the Bose QuietComfort series is your ticket, but the sound quality isn't so good. But as long as I'm not listening to very quiet music, I don't really notice all but the loudest environmental noises, even with open-back headphones.

What he said.  Verbatim!  I don't own the Yamaha's but have heard them and can vouch.  One of my coworkers has them!  Very nice.  I personally perfer a much heavier bass JVC!

Jun 23, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #4 of 12
  What he said.  Verbatim!  I don't own the Yamaha's but have heard them and can vouch.  One of my coworkers has them!  Very nice.  I personally perfer a much heavier bass JVC!

biggrin.gif

I bought the SZ2000 once, but it was taking forever to be shipped out so I canceled the order. Still really curious about its capabilities, particularly ultimate bass impact.

Jun 23, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #5 of 12
I would highly recommend PSB M4U 2's, a little above your budget brand new, but Crutchfield has them refurbished for $200 right now, or you could buy used. Good active noise cancelling with much better sound quality compared to what Bose offers

Jun 24, 2016 at 1:24 AM Post #6 of 12
Unless you're listening to music next to a firing range, active noise cancelling really isn't necessary in most cases. If you can live with the looks, I'd recommend the NAD Viso HP50 for the best sound quality for the money.

Jun 24, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #10 of 12
  Unless you're listening to music next to a firing range, active noise cancelling really isn't necessary in most cases.

I concur...though I'm not sure if noise canceling headphones would actually block those noises from the firing range at all. They tend to block certain droning frequencies better, such as a jet engine or microwave...but rapid frequencies, especially higher ones, tend to not be blocked at all.

Jun 24, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #11 of 12
  Hey! Have you considered in-ears? I love headphones as much as the next guy, but when I need isolation & quality I always go with in-ears.

Heck, my CIEMs block more noise than my Peltor range earplugs.

I would agree with this. Many universal in-ears can be had for under $250 and with Comply foam tips have amazing isolation. Right now I'm rocking the Echobox Audio Finder X1 ($199), and loving it. For full-size closed headphones, I really like the OPPO PM3, but it is a bit over your price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back