What headphones are recommended for music mixing?
Nov 7, 2002 at 12:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Mark2002

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,
I'm new to the forums, and i'm on the search for headphones which are recommended for music production.

Due to inadequate monitoring equipment, the past few days i've been endlessly tweaking a vocal through a lot of guesswork on what frequencies i'm hearing, and i've decided that i really need better monitoring. I can't afford studio monitor speakers at the moment but headphones look to be a good option.

Ones which stand out to me from reading reviews are Beyer headphones, in particular the DT250, DT770 Pro and DT990 Pro. (Although the DT990 at £115 over here is slightly more than i can afford - unless they are highly recommended.) But if there are other recommendations, please let me know of them. (My main use will be for checking EQ's in mixes.)

I have some more newbie questions:

I have an Audigy soundcard in my computer, will i require an amp to get a good volume level? I've noticed that there's two versions of the DT250, one at 80 Ohms and another at 250, and i've read that without an amp i should go for the 80 ohms version. The DT770 and 990 are 600 Ohms, will they be too quiet if i connected them directly to my soundcard?

I haven't heard sound through professional quality headphones, will i hear the difference in something like a subtle boost at 5khz or a cut at 400Hz?

Thankyou very much for any help,
Mark

Nov 7, 2002 at 6:58 PM Post #3 of 23
yeah, go for the dt250-80 if you do not have an amp or plan on using one soon. the new versions of the 770 and 990 are actually 250ohms, but you would need an amp to properly drive them well. i'll second chillysalsa with the sony mdr-v6. if you have the chance, audition all the phones you are looking for.

Nov 7, 2002 at 7:11 PM Post #4 of 23
And good luck finding anyone that sells the V6 too. Try on here or ebay, those are your best shots for finding them.

Scott

Nov 7, 2002 at 7:19 PM Post #5 of 23
Thanks for the replies, i'm fairly sure i'll be going for the 250/80 after seeing them at a reduced price at an online store.

I've seen a lot of positive reviews regarding the Sony v6/7506 headphones, but i'm finding it difficult locating a supplier in the UK. Why is that scottder, are they discontinued?

Mark

Nov 7, 2002 at 7:25 PM Post #6 of 23
I believe I read somewhere that the V6 is no longer produced, but you still see them on some online stores and on ebay. I am looking for a pair myself for use here at work (Read my sig for what I am stuck with now...). Hope to find a reasonably priced used or new soon.

Nov 7, 2002 at 7:26 PM Post #7 of 23
You may also want to consider the Sennheiser HD280-pro. They have a very flat response with very little coloration, and provide lots of isolation. Some say the bass is not as emphasized on the HD280's than on the V6's, which to me, for monitoring, can be a good thing. The 280's have a fairly low impedance, if I remember correctly, at 64 ohms.

I myself am contemplating between the HD280's and the V6's. I will probably pick up a pair of HD280's, and if they are not to my liking I will sell them and try out the V6's. Or maybe I'll just find some way to have both at the same time... (and end up keeping both
rolleyes.gif
)

Nov 7, 2002 at 7:28 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by LobsterSan
You may also want to consider the Sennheiser HD280-pro

d'oh, forgot about those also. you should definitely check those out also mark2002. and yes, i believe that the v6 is not in production anymore.

Nov 7, 2002 at 7:37 PM Post #9 of 23
Would the 280 Pro's be a god choice for portable use? I mainly want these for work, thus a closed design is preferable (I mean who wants to listen to the person in the next cube chew their food?). I have oscilated between the Grado SR80 (though they aren't closed and I hear they benefit from having an amp) and the Sony V6/7506 (whichever I can get cheaper
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Nov 7, 2002 at 7:49 PM Post #11 of 23
I don't care how they look and they don't need to be extremely portable, I just want decent sound for my portable (eventually going to build a CMoy amp) and they are mostly for work (decent place, not worried about them being stolen). So size and looks aren't the problem, cost and relative isolation are.

Nov 7, 2002 at 7:53 PM Post #13 of 23
scottder -

it appears that the v6/7506 is probably a better choice in terms of portability compared to the hd280. the v6 folds up a little smaller, and probably looks a lot less strange on your head than the hd280's would (this is not firsthand info, but magicthyse will probably vouch for me here. and he's a fashion expert 'round these parts). the hd280 also fold up, but not quite as compactly (though this wouldn't stop me, because i always have a backpack around).

i would have reservations wearing the hd280 while i'm walking around, and not just because of the looks (actually, i like being that dork) -- it's more a safety issue -- since the hd280 is said to isolate more, that means you hear less of the trucks and busses bearing down on you (and scary people behind you).

but then i just wear my portapros or ksc-50 for walking and i'm fine... that's why i don't consider that part too much.

Nov 7, 2002 at 8:02 PM Post #14 of 23
I use my V6 cans for everything. Mixing music, making music, and listening to music on my computer and portable cd player. They're great. There's a few online stores that carry them, but I don't know about any UK based stores.

Nov 7, 2002 at 8:05 PM Post #15 of 23
LobsterSan,

Well the safety issue isn't a big one for me since I have a desk job, and portability isn't a huge issue (I have to lug around my laptop, a bit more weight isn't the end of the world). So I'd rather get something bigger an dorkier if the sound is better, and is in or around the $100 price range.

I listen mostly to rock, but some classical and oddball stuff is in the mix as well.

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

Back