What headphones <£100 budget
Oct 1, 2009 at 1:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

oli_ramsay

Head-Fier
My cheapo Technics RP-F350 just broke last night which is a perfect excuse for me to upgrade
biggrin.gif

I was thinking a pair of Grado SR60i/SR80i's. I mostly listen to hip-hop/prog rock and I'll also be using them for a little bit of gaming, so bass is quite important.

Don't really wanna spend over £100, and anything under that would be great.

Thanks guys
o2smile.gif

EDIT: Also wondering what's the difference between the sr60i/80i's? Are the 80i's worth the extra money?

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #2 of 6
Grado is good, so is Denon D1001/Creative Auvana Live! also maybe Audio Technica ES7.

Oct 1, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for the reply Ra97or, I'll do a bit more research about the ones you suggested. I've also heard good things about Audio Technica AD-700's

A few extra details:

They're for home use so open backed pair isn't a problem. I'll be using them from FLAC/MP3 320 > ASUS Xonar DS > Cambridge Audio 640A V2.

Oct 1, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #4 of 6
Your first post mention Hip Hop and need bass. The AD700 is quite bass light, and may not suit you. The D1001/Auvuna Live! got really good bass and a better stage than the Grado. The Grado haven't got the punch the D1001/Auvana Live! give, but still quite worthy.

At £100, I don't really think any open-back cans give that kind of bass.

Oct 1, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #5 of 6
I got some Beyerdynamic DT990 pro's for £99 last year and they're great, and they have plenty of bass. They're the only headphones I've ever owned besides some Sennheiser HD215s so I can't base this on anything else, but they're certainly worth a look as I see now the SR-80s are around the same price. I've heard the SR-80s, and for me they lack bass and I really couldn't imagine listening to Hip-Hop with them. I listen to mainly electronic dance music (prog house/trance etc). The DT990 Pro's can be a little bright sometimes, but the SR-80s sounded alot more 'piercing'. The Beyers are a lot larger though and over the ear, but I use them only for home listening, so portability isn't an issue.

I won't tell you to get them, because the only other headphones I've really listened to are the Senns I mentioned and the SR-80s. But personally having heard the Grado's my preference is the DT990 Pro, and since you mentioned bass is of importance I thought I'd mention them.

Edit - They're certainly a lot more confortable too, which is important to me with watching films and playing games for long periods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back