What headphone would be a logical progression from the ATH-M50 (the next step up, if you will)?
Aug 19, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #2 of 13
(Prices are based off of amazon)
Open headphones:
Sennheiser 558, $120, neutral sounding
HiFiman HE-300, $150, warm and bassy
Audio-Technica AD700x, $150, detailed and light on bass

Closed headphones:
V-Moda LP2, $200, very bassy and great for electronic
Logitech UE-6000, $100, great lows and recessed highs, noise cancelling
Beats by Dre Solos, $150, no speakers, sprays feces out of earcups

I got the info off of Head-Fi reviews, check them out

Aug 19, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #4 of 13
Firstly, how much are you willing to spend on an upgrade? Secondly, are you looking for a headphone with a different or similar sound signature? What about your headphones do you like and not like? What genres do you listen to?

Aug 20, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #5 of 13
Well I haven't decided on a budget yet, but likely less than $750. I'll be running it off of a Fiio E17, and I listen to more electronic than anything else but I do enjoy different varieties so I don't want to be limited. I'd like a little more punch, something that can really get my head moving. 

Aug 20, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #7 of 13
  Well I haven't decided on a budget yet, but likely less than $750. I'll be running it off of a Fiio E17, and I listen to more electronic than anything else but I do enjoy different varieties so I don't want to be limited. I'd like a little more punch, something that can really get my head moving. 

Honestly, that's a lot of money.  You could get the Fidelio X1 for edm (you don't know it yet, but those are the headphones you really want), and then you could get something far more neutral for other genres (Cel and others have recommended the SoundMAGIC HP series on more than one occasion - I would trust what they have to say on those).

Aug 20, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #8 of 13

Right now my preferred headphone is the Audio Technica ATH-W1000X ($530).
Only 42-Ohms, very easy for your E17 to drive.

Aug 20, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #10 of 13
Fostex TH-600 should be most similar to the M50's within your budget, as a clear upgrade (all IMHO, of course). Same slight V shape, more open sound, easy to drive, good looking.

Aug 20, 2014 at 2:51 AM Post #12 of 13
If you want to go closed, the Alpha Dogs are nice, but you might find them a little light on bass. The TH600 or the HD700 are both good. 

Aug 20, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #13 of 13

With a budget like that, you oughta dedicate half for headphones and the rest for an amp and source component to upgrade from the e17.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back