What headphone to use for studying in noisy environment?
Oct 5, 2013 at 4:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

miko

New Head-Fier
Hello, I am very sensitive to noise. Recently, there is a change in work environment. In my office, the new guy hammers the keyboard. In the library (often crowded), people play music at a level so loud that even they have the headphone, anybody in the room could hear it. There are also phones vibrating on the desks. Sometimes I just bring my book and computer to a public place to work. For example Starbucks, McDonald's, etc. These places have background music along with noisy customers. Is there any good headphone that could block out all these noise? My Shure 115 was good in the past but it cannot block out noise in these environment. I also feel pain in my ear for wearing it for 1-2 hours. Somebody mentioned the Bose QC20i. How good it is in blocking sound from the keyboard, background music, people talking in a public cafe? In the showroom, it could block out the background music. Not sure if it can do it in all cases or just the average volumn-level background music in the store.

Oct 5, 2013 at 5:44 AM Post #2 of 8
Hello!

What type of eartips are you using for your Shures? I personally uses foam eartips while I am out and about as they isolate more noise compared to silicone, more comfy and brighten things up a bit in terms of SQ.

Hope it helps!
Billson :)

Oct 5, 2013 at 6:32 AM Post #3 of 8
There's something you must understand and you should lower you expectations for that matter: no headphone/iem will block entirely external noise.

In any case foam tips are excellent and can be used with almost any ie-monitor

Oct 5, 2013 at 6:45 AM Post #4 of 8
  Hello, I am very sensitive to noise. Recently, there is a change in work environment. In my office, the new guy hammers the keyboard. In the library (often crowded), people play music at a level so loud that even they have the headphone, anybody in the room could hear it. There are also phones vibrating on the desks. Sometimes I just bring my book and computer to a public place to work. For example Starbucks, McDonald's, etc. These places have background music along with noisy customers. Is there any good headphone that could block out all these noise? My Shure 115 was good in the past but it cannot block out noise in these environment. I also feel pain in my ear for wearing it for 1-2 hours. Somebody mentioned the Bose QC20i. How good it is in blocking sound from the keyboard, background music, people talking in a public cafe? In the showroom, it could block out the background music. Not sure if it can do it in all cases or just the average volumn-level background music in the store.

Heya,

Just grab a good pair of passively isolating closed back comfortable headphones.

Beyer DT770
Brainwavz HM5

With just a low volume music playing, you'll hear hardly nothing but your music unless the environmental sound is extreme. And you won't be leaking anything into the room unless they're in your face.

Very best,

Oct 5, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #5 of 8
I just use the pair that was originally installed. I found it a bit hard to remove the pair so I just leave them as is. 
Which is the "foam eartip"?

Is the Etymotic ER-4PT or the Bose QC20i better suit my requirement?

Oct 5, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #6 of 8
Hey,

Does the eartips tend to loose it's fit after awhile? I think you should try using other included eartips. The eartips that you are now using May or may not fits you :)

The foam eartips is included in your SE115 package. It's a type of eartips made of foam. You will need to squeeze it before inserting it into your ear. Then let it expand itself in your ear. It isolates better

Hope it helps!
Billson :)

Oct 8, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #7 of 8
The QC20i's will block pretty much everything.  It's actually a weird feeling at times, but you grow accustomed to it.  I have a pair of DT1350s which block noise as well at higher volumes on my iPhone.  I would say check out both and the others mentioned above, you may have a more personal preference - doesn't hurt to find out before investing.

Oct 8, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #8 of 8
Oh... and my preference between the two for a studying environment is the Bose because of the noise cancellation.  The louder I listen to music, the more my attention shifts away from my work.  But I don't think they begin to compare if you're worried about audiophile type quality, that would be dt1350s all the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back