What headphone to get?
Feb 6, 2004 at 11:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Jai

New Head-Fier
hi, im new to this forum and pretty much to all headphones.

Right now i have a older model sony mz-n707 md player and i would like to know what type of headphones sound good with it?

I know senn 570's wont sound good since my md cant power it, but i saw that my md powers at like 16 ohms or soemthing (not sure if im right). I noticed the grado sr-60s but they are 32 ohms, does this mean my md wont be able to power it?

In anycase, what headsets should i looks into? i listen to all types of music, mostly trance, hip hop, and some rock

Feb 7, 2004 at 12:58 AM Post #2 of 9
Welcome to Head-Fi and...... (no that welcome is to trivial).
tongue.gif

Firstly, when it says something with 16 Ohms, the manual says that it outputs X miliamps (mA) when a 16 Ohm load is applied to the output. If you use a 32 Ohm headphone, the output in mA is around halved compared to the 16 Ohms, but it doesn't necesarrily mean that the 32 Ohms headphones can't be driven reasonably.
If you like the very up-front sound of Grados, the SR-60s or SR-80s will be a good match for your MD. If you go higher than that in the model range, an amp is not a neccesarity, but the sound will not improve over the SR-80s very much, unless a headphone amplifier is added.
Other open headphones you should try / consider:
Sennheiser HD497
Beyerdynamic DT231 (not really open, but not isolating like a closed headphone), DT440, DT531 (if still available)
Sony MDR-CD780,
Koss KSC-35 (clip-ons)

Closed headphones:
Sennheiser HD280
Sony MDR-V6, MDR-7508 (the same as V6)

Judged by your preference of music, I would recommend you either Grado SR-60, SR-80

Feb 7, 2004 at 2:26 AM Post #3 of 9
by "up-front sound", do you mean clear? does Grado have any bass? cause all people are speaking it is very clear but no one says anything about the bass

btw can Echo Indigo's amp power SR225s properly?

Feb 7, 2004 at 4:38 AM Post #5 of 9
I've got a Sony NZ810 player and use it with PX200s. It drives them well and they are super portable (like the MD player itself). I recommend them though they are certainly entry level.

Feb 7, 2004 at 5:00 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by CyberGhost
by "up-front sound", do you mean clear? does Grado have any bass? cause all people are speaking it is very clear but no one says anything about the bass

btw can Echo Indigo's amp power SR225s properly?

The Indigo should power the 225s fine. "Up-front" doesn't really mean "clear". Think "in your face". Very dynamic. And they have very good bass when powered properly.

Feb 8, 2004 at 6:45 AM Post #9 of 9
For full sized phones, CD780's sound pretty damn good
smily_headphones1.gif
. KSC-35's are an option but they may not be tooo good since the are open and leak sound in and out. A popular earphone is the Sony ex71 as they are pretty popular with MD players (though I don't like them very much).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back