What Headphone is the Worst for the Price?
Jun 9, 2005 at 1:56 AM Post #16 of 54
When I went to a bose store, I listened to the triports and the quiet comfort 2's. The triports sounded alright, but the QC's sounded AWFUL.

So, my vote goes for the bose quiet comforts.
While I didn't think the triports sounded very good, they sounded better than the qc's, and cost less too.
Bose QC's: worst headphones value I've personally used.

Jun 9, 2005 at 1:59 AM Post #17 of 54
My vote is a tie between the Bose TriPorts and the Sony MDR-V600's (which some people dubbed the MDR-V600DJ's). For their going prices, they're crap-tacular. And for their asking prices? Forgittaboutit.

Jun 9, 2005 at 2:02 AM Post #18 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
When I went to a bose store, I listened to the triports and the quiet comfort 2's. The triports sounded alright, but the QC's sounded AWFUL.

So, my vote goes for the bose quiet comforts.
While I didn't think the triports sounded very good, they sounded better than the qc's, and cost less too.
Bose QC's: worst headphones value I've personally used.

Funny, they have the same driver
biggrin.gif

Jun 9, 2005 at 2:04 AM Post #19 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vences5
Funny, they have the same driver
biggrin.gif

Then the housing made a big difference. Their sound was in no way comparable, and this was not a mistake.

Jun 9, 2005 at 2:22 AM Post #20 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by jefemeister
No contest. Qualia 010.

Ditto...and I kind of LIKED these.

Jun 9, 2005 at 2:58 AM Post #22 of 54
The most expensive cans I ever bought on a cost-per-use basis would have to be the Grado SR125. Shrill and uncomfortable out of the box, they quickly went back into the box.

Got them pre-Head-Fi, and I bought the sizzle instead of the steak. Never looked at another Grado.

BW

Jun 9, 2005 at 3:03 AM Post #23 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ward
The most expensive cans I ever bought on a cost-per-use basis would have to be the Grado SR125. Shrill and uncomfortable out of the box, they quickly went back into the box.

Got them pre-Head-Fi, and I bought the sizzle instead of the steak. Never looked at another Grado.

BW

Thats like my first encounter with sennheisers, also pre-headfi. I tried the HD497's and the low end grado's, and the 497's were like covering the driver with a sock. I didn't consider another senn until the last chicago meet, and now I have a pair of HD-650's
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 9, 2005 at 3:04 AM Post #24 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ward

Dont you feel compelled to at least try out a higher end model? I felt the same way with my SR-80s, but once I experienced some of the higher end models for a while (not a casual demo), I was in love.
tongue.gif

Also, you have to let your ears get used to the slightly brighter Grado sound. (mental break in) Once you go back, everything else seems lacking.
tongue.gif

Jun 9, 2005 at 3:06 AM Post #25 of 54
No one has mentioned the Sony V-**** (others' term not mine!)

Jun 9, 2005 at 3:07 AM Post #26 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by sumguy_

Amazingly enough, there are worse headphones for even more money.

Jun 9, 2005 at 3:09 AM Post #27 of 54
For me, the worst were sony CD3k's, and if I ever hear R10's or Qualia's, those will probably take their place. I just can't stand that sound.

Jun 9, 2005 at 3:12 AM Post #29 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
are you trying to get yourself deinvited from the cinci meet?
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Hey, you should hear my opinion on the K501's, they just beat the sony's due to their much lower price.
EDIT: The sony's I felt were fine if you want to analyze music, I couldn't care less about analyzing music. The AKG's were worthless with the music I listen to, and the sound I'm going for.

Jun 9, 2005 at 3:17 AM Post #30 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by sumguy_

Actually, I have. Read my post (regarding the MDR-V600). It sounded worse than a lot of $20 cans (both open and closed) - yet it sells for $100 at retail (and $60 even at discount).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back