What Headphone doesnt warm up your ears?
Apr 11, 2015 at 8:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

motion2082

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

Looking for an Audiophile set of cans that won't heat up your ears.

Currently using the T90s and my ears get warm after long use.

Any advice would be amazing!

Cheers

Apr 11, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #2 of 18
basically most leather and pleather pads will warm up your ears a bit. a switch to velour pads (sometimes referred to as vegan pads) would remedy your problem as the material is more breathable.

you can either look for earpad replacement suggestions on the T90 thread. I read that the Hifiman earpads will fit (you can try their new focus or focus-a earpads). The velvet earpads on the T90 should be more breathable than most leather/pleather headphones out there.

Apr 11, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #3 of 18
  basically most leather and pleather pads will warm up your ears a bit. a switch to velour pads (sometimes referred to as vegan pads) would remedy your problem as the material is more breathable.

you can either look for earpad replacement suggestions on the T90 thread. I read that the Hifiman earpads will fit (you can try their new focus or focus-a earpads). The velvet earpads on the T90 should be more breathable than most leather/pleather headphones out there.

Hi Money4me

The pads on my T90 Jubilees are Super-Soft Microfiber (according to the box) futher research seems to reveal they are Velour. http://www.kenrockwell.com/audio/beyer/t90.htm 

Earpads
The earpads are covered with fuzzy velour. The pads ride around your ears, not touching them. Your ears sit inside untouched.

These are brand new (like 3 days old)

The pads are not too bad, but ears do get warm.

Would I just be better returning these for a HiFiman Headphone?

Apr 11, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #4 of 18
  Hi Money4me

The pads on my T90 Jubilees are Super-Soft Microfiber (according to the box). These are brand new (like 3 days old). The pads are not too bad, but ears do get warm. Would I just be better returning these for a HiFiman Headphone?

Mmm... depends on what you are looking for. the T90 are closed headphones, so they inherently can be a bit warmer on the ears than open headphones as there is no air flow at all inside the earcups for closed headphones. this can be alleviated with different types of earpad material. The Microfiber earpads should be similar in breathability to velour/vegan earpads. So if you need noise isolation of a closed pair of headphones, I would imagine it doesn't get much better than something like the T90 in terms of ear warmness. May be a bit weird if you are transitioning from speakers to headphones, but it really shouldn't bother most people. If you don't need to noise isolation, you can try any open pair of headphones with velour pads, which should feel less warm. No need to go specifically with the Hifiman brand, there are a wide variety of options out there. If you like your current brand, Beyerdynamic will have open headphones with velour earpads at a variety of different price points. hope this is helpful.

Apr 11, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #5 of 18
  Mmm... depends on what you are looking for. the T90 are closed headphones, so they inherently can be a bit warmer on the ears than open headphones as there is no air flow at all inside the earcups for closed headphones. this can be alleviated with different types of earpad material. The Microfiber earpads should be similar in breathability to velour/vegan earpads. So if you need noise isolation of a closed pair of headphones, I would imagine it doesn't get much better than something like the T90 in terms of ear warmness. May be a bit weird if you are transitioning from speakers to headphones, but it really shouldn't bother most people. If you don't need to noise isolation, you can try any open pair of headphones with velour pads, which should feel less warm. No need to go specifically with the Hifiman brand, there are a wide variety of options out there. If you like your current brand, Beyerdynamic will have open headphones with velour earpads at a variety of different price points. hope this is helpful.

I'm looking for long use comfort and awesome sound!

The T90s are an Open Back Design but I agree they do feel like a closed design.

What would be a good pair of open headphones with velour pads?

Apr 11, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #6 of 18
depends on your budget & sound sig preferences. individual comfort is hard to guage to though. i dont recall having any issues with warm ears the lower end open beyers (such as dt990) or when trying the t90s but only demoed them for a few songs. i personally find the hifiman he400i and he560 to be extremely comfortable once the clamping pressure has been adjusted, and I do feel like they offer good sound for their costs compared to the competition. build quality is not as nice in comparision to some of their similarly priced competition though. other comfy headphones i've tried include the sennheiser hd600/hd650/hd800 and akg k712/k812. hope that helps. rmb comfort is a bit subjective though, so ymmv

edit: i wld recommend trying yoir t90s for a few days since you alrdy have them. sometimes it's just weird transitioning to headphones.

Apr 11, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #7 of 18
Thanks for that :)

You're right about the comfort thing.

Should have spent more time with akg k712 and hifiman in the shop.

The t90s are great compared to my hd518, no ear sweat just a tad warm.

Hd800 and akg812 is probably a bit more than I wanted to spend

Apr 11, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #8 of 18
Thanks for that
smily_headphones1.gif
 You're right about the comfort thing. Should have spent more time with akg k712 and hifiman in the shop. The t90s are great compared to my hd518, no ear sweat just a tad warm. Hd800 and akg812 is probably a bit more than I wanted to spend

No problem. Glad you found it helpful. If there is a store near you where you can demo, I would highly recommend trying it out before you buy as comfort can be very subjective. I had great luck with comfort of the new Hifiman HE-400i/HE-560 and the K712, so I would definitely suggest trying those out for maybe a 20-30 minute demo session to see how they feel on you :)

Apr 11, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #9 of 18
All headphones will warm your ears, some more than others. The ones with that stupid fake leather/vinyl stuff are the worst. The velour pads help much, but can still get your ears real warm. This is part of the reason I can't wear headphones for very long. One thing I do is avoid headphones at all cost during warm weather. To me, it's not worth suffering.
That's just me though, your mileage will vary.

Apr 11, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #10 of 18
Only cans that don't warm my ears are the K1000 and my MDR PFRV1.  Neither of these are really headphones though, they are more like small near field speakers.  Neither are without their flaws however... like anything else they have definite pros and cons.  The major pro in this context is cool, non-sweaty ears.  I use the PFRV1 on NFL Sundays to watch football games. 

I have always found Koss KSC clips to be pretty cool on the ears, and Grado comfy pads are not too bad either.

Apr 11, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #11 of 18
  Only cans that don't warm my ears are the K1000 and my MDR PFRV1.  Neither of these are really headphones though, they are more like small near field speakers.  Neither are without their flaws however... like anything else they have definite pros and cons.  The major pro in this context is cool, non-sweaty ears.  I use the PFRV1 on NFL Sundays to watch football games. 

first major con is that they look ridiculous =P

Apr 11, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #12 of 18
  first major con is that they look ridiculous =P

So true.  My wife laughed at me the first time she saw my PFRV1.  You WILL get laughed at when you wear them or the K1000.

Jecklin floats in their various incarnations I think are also a floating ear speaker design that could be a good choice... and they too WILL get you laughed at.

Apr 11, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #14 of 18
Sony MA900. It is literally open in the rear of the cup (like it's predecessor F1), and has cloth pads keeping the surface of the face cool.

Their sonic prowess is what I'd call a bit technically inferior to the HD600/650 but with similar overall pleasing tone as those two. Overall still quite capable IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back