What headphone + dac/amp to get?
Aug 13, 2012 at 1:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Stealth3si

Head-Fier
So I want to get a closed headphone + portable dac/amp for my dad. He listens to pop/dance music on his laptop and iphone and prefers to buy Sony @ Fry's Electronics. Today he bought a Sentry 870CD can from Big Lots! but is returning because it lacks the bass he gets from his Sony MDR-ZX100. I looked at Fry's Electonics list online and gathered some products.

Which is one is a good upgrade?

SONY MDRZX500
Sony MDR-V500DJ Studio DJ Headphone
SONY MDRXB500 Extra Bass Headphones - 40mm

I also would like to know what is a good portable dac/amp to pair with any one of the above in use with a laptop and iphone? something like an fiio e7/10/17?

Aug 13, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #2 of 19
Quote:
So I want to get a closed headphone + portable dac/amp for my dad. He listens to pop/dance music on his laptop and iphone and prefers to buy Sony @ Fry's Electronics. Today he bought a Sentry 870CD can from Big Lots! but is returning because it lacks the bass he gets from his Sony MDR-ZX100. I looked at Fry's Electonics list online and gathered some products.

Which is one is a good upgrade?

SONY MDRZX500
Sony MDR-V500DJ Studio DJ Headphone
SONY MDRXB500 Extra Bass Headphones - 40mm

I also would like to know what is a good portable dac/amp to pair with any one of the above in use with a laptop and iphone? something like an fiio e7/10/17?

Personally I would go for the Sony MDR-V6

The Fiio E7, E10 and E17 can easy use their DACs and headphone amplifier features with a laptop (USB port).
The IPhone can not use the DAC feature of the E7, E10 or E17.
I say to get something like the Dac Destroyer, USB-DAC, for use with the laptop and get the Fiio E11 amplifier (with Fiio L cable).
The Fiio E11 can connect to the iPhone (best with L cable) and the external DAC (Dac Destoryer).

Aug 13, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:
about the dac destroyer.. i looked at the pics at hotaudio:
http://hotaudio.com/store/images/dac-destroyer-big.jpg
what port does it use to connect to iPhone?

how does it connect to iPhone.

HotAudio40 is who I bought my Dac Destoryer from, if you go for the Dac Destroyer that is on auction (HotAudio40), you can get it cheaper.
The external DAC (Dac Destroyer) is for use with the laptop, not the iPhone.
The cheapest DAC that can work with the iPhone is the HRT iStreamer ($150)
So the E11 would plug into the DAC Destroyer's RCA outputs for use with the laptop and the E11 would connect to the iPhone's LOD port using the L cable (analog connection).

Aug 13, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #5 of 19
the AiAiAis TMA-1 are good for pop/dance. at that price range you could also look at V-Moda M-80s or or Sennheiser HD 25 (my personal favorite). nuforce uDAC2 DAC/AMP for the laptop and E11 is best bang/buck portable amp for your iPhone (with LOD cable). You could also do E7/E9, but E7 portable gain disappointed me -- you could never get it to 11.

Aug 13, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #6 of 19
The ultrasone HFI-480 is another model that may suit your dad's genres really well + the E11

Aug 13, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #7 of 19
I'll put a second on the E7 or E17.  The E17 was my first headphone amp.  The Equalizer will allow your dad to give the base a little extra umph when needed.  The DAC is also a nice step up from most computer sound cards for when he is listening from his computer.  Can be connected easily with an LOD to skip the internal amp in the iPhone.

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:
I'll put a second on the E7 or E17.  The E17 was my first headphone amp.  The Equalizer will allow your dad to give the base a little extra umph when needed.  The DAC is also a nice step up from most computer sound cards for when he is listening from his computer.  Can be connected easily with an LOD to skip the internal amp in the iPhone.

+1

Aug 14, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:
Does the Fiio have a way of telling when the battery is low?

I believe most Fiio's have a simple LED light system to tell the user the battery is low.
Just download and read the Fiio manual for whatever Fiio your thinking of getting.

Aug 14, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:
as for the l7 line out, doesnj't the e7 already have an output for headphone making it useless?

A line-out is not the same as a headphone jack
Yes they look the same and sometimes one jack is used for both line-out and headphone out.
A line-out signal is a pre-amplified signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back