What Have You All Done!!!
Mar 4, 2007 at 9:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

rembrant

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone my name is Luke. I've been lurking around here for a while. Like many others, when I first started reading I was madly confused
blink.gif

Now it's safe to say I've been assimilated. I give you project Headbanger.

I have since built three of these for some friends..(really just an excuse to cap roll and get better at soldering smaller parts.) Anyway Mark.01(Headphone Soap) looks like crap but sounds great!
eggosmile.gif
I use it everyday!
I want to thank you for keeping resources like this available at no charge. Now I think its time for a C-moy so you all will probably get a few questions before I order some components.

Mar 4, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #2 of 8
I know what you mean. I started with a CMOY and a mini mini interconnect. I am awaiting parts from tangent for a PIMETA and will soon be making a crossfeed and a switch box. I don't know if I am making a PPA or a millet hybrid after that. I think I will get some hd 580s first.

I have been sucked into DIY. I wish people around me needed amps. I would make them for free just for the experience. Oh, I also started with a Radioshack soldering iron and I now have probably 120$ worth of soldering stuff.

The parts that Tangent uses for the CMOY are all quality. The only thing I might suggest is to upgrade the Caps a little and possibly put in a rail splitter.

Mar 4, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried to build a cmoy once, but ended up with a flux capacitor instead. I think I did it wrong.
confused.gif

Did it take you back to November 5, 1955?
lambda.gif

Weird to think of it, but you'd probably find that making a CMoy (soldering wise) is more difficult than using manufactured PCBs (with the exception of SMD). You should jump right into amps with PCB's made.

Mar 4, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by mb3k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lambda.gif

Weird to think of it, but you'd probably find that making a CMoy (soldering wise) is more difficult than using manufactured PCBs (with the exception of SMD). You should jump right into amps with PCB's made.

I believe that to be true as well. My first CMOY, I was just an amature solderer, and I had all kinds of solder bridges. With PCBs, you usually have good enough spacing to not bridge many connections. There are some professional CMOY PCBs around. Although,

Mar 5, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by mb3k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lambda.gif

But wouldn't using manufactured PCB's be less DIY? That is, unless you manufacture the pcb yourself
lambda.gif

I'm waiting for the rest of the parts for my first cmoy, and I have to say, this forum is sucking time out of my life. I have a midterm tomorrow and while I should have been studying, I spent 4 hours last night looking at the amp/cable stickies
plainface.gif
. Oh well.

Mar 5, 2007 at 9:49 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by kanamin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But wouldn't using manufactured PCB's be less DIY? That is, unless you manufacture the pcb yourself

Technically this is true, but it gets a bit harder to make a known good amp - starting with a pimeta and moving up from there on a real DIY basis. The boards are available but you still have to select all of the parts, assemble it, and troubleshoot it to get it working, and then case it all up so it looks like a bought one - all good diy fun.

Having made a number of perfbord CMoy, I'm now looking at either making or buying some CMoy boards.

Does anyone know of any boards available for purchase, apart from the CMoy 2?

Mar 6, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #8 of 8
I'm pretty sure I'll use bread board for my first few as I've still got a ton of it left. I do understand the want for a PCB. That opens up a whole new angle to these things. I have made a few low part count boards with specialized equipment, but I can't say I've ever rolled my own so to speak. Perhaps we could roll our own CMoy PCB. Hell, I'll give it a shot. The first amp(Pictured) was built with a 35watt Weller and way to big of wire..SHHHHSSSSS its stranded
frown.gif
. I recently purchased a RatShack temp controlled station with a silver tip. And the best investment I have made to date is? The Shack has this great stuff that comes in a little tin that some what resembles a lip gloss container. It is called tip cleaner and tinner. WOW it rocks. Just stick the hot tip in for a sec, BAM, cleaned and tinned!! I love it!
More on the point at hand. My problems are with part selection and not execution. I have no idea what parts i should use to get the sound (I) want, and still make the PCB generic enough that it can be fit to any sound preference. I'm weird about it. I Prefer my Sennheiser EH150's over the 580's. To me the 150's have a much fuller and more mellow sound and much increased bass response. I know I'm gonna Vex a few here. You try it. Go get a pair of these they are around 40 to 50 dollars and play some Bass Mechanics on them and your expensive high ohm set and see which goes lower. You'll be surprised. Which brings us to the reason I chose the Lafferty headbanger amp for my first one and not the CMoy. I have heard that the CMoy is not so good at driving low ohm drivers. The headbanger has no problem as the lm386 was designed for 8ohm (mono) speaker applications. It can deliver serious mW into 32ohm. However, it doesn't use a dual supply
and I'm still not entirely convinced that is better. I have to find out don't I?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back