What has more Bass, V-Moda LP2 or M100?
Apr 9, 2019 at 2:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

johnnyyukon

New Head-Fier
Nice to hear from anyone that has tested both, but any input is great.

So I bought some Crossfade LP2s the other day at ye olde Guitar Center, plugged it up to my FiiO Q1/iPhone and used a subsonic frequency app (Signal Gen, HIGHLY recommend, free). And my expectations for distorted or weak bass was blown to pieces.

Full volume on amp and iphone, ZERO distortion from 20Hz to 80.

Everyone on the internet said the M-100s are the best in the world, and had been looking at them, so went and exchanged out the LP2s, paid a little extra and got the M-100s. And I SWEAR, the same exact process, Bass seems weaker, not distorted, but weaker.

I think the m100s use an "upgraded" set of 50mm drivers

M100:
"50mm Dual-Diaphragm Drivers - Inner & outer rings separate the bass from bleeding into the mids and highs."

LP2s:
"50mm Dual-Diaphragm Drivers - Inner & outer rings deliver vibrant bass, vivid mids & vivacious highs without overlap"

Pretty sure LP2s, $100.00 LESS, have more powerful bass.

I'm a basshead, the LP2s soundstage was just fine, maybe not as good as the M100s, but for my tastes, honestly thinking about going back for the LP2s. Saving $100 (though that's just a perk, not reason).

Any experience with this?

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #2 of 4
Yeah same thing happened to me. Lp2 was more THUMPY and pushed more air.
Not surprising though since m100 is more "balanced" so naturally a balanced signature would not have such elevated low end.
In saying that, the "potential" of the low end in the m100 is there, and can be pushed almost to the same levels.

One thing is clear as mud: the 100 is the more refined relative to lp2 so its no question of which one is better overall.

There is no reason to have a Lp2, as a little more fuzzier thump if any is not worth it.

m100 + XL

Apr 9, 2019 at 11:37 PM Post #3 of 4
Yeah same thing happened to me. Lp2 was more THUMPY and pushed more air.
Not surprising though since m100 is more "balanced" so naturally a balanced signature would not have such elevated low end.
In saying that, the "potential" of the low end in the m100 is there, and can be pushed almost to the same levels.

One thing is clear as mud: the 100 is the more refined relative to lp2 so its no question of which one is better overall.

There is no reason to have a Lp2, as a little more fuzzier thump if any is not worth it.

m100 + XL

Believe me, I tried all three of my headphone amps, at full subsonic frequencies. Even ran it through the legendary iZotope 8 advanced mastering.

M100s are not bad, strictly bass, but BIG difference in bass, as in, less of it. And zero distortion on LP2s. The drivers are both 50mm but different technology.

Talked to V-Moda Tech for 30 minutes today about the 2 and he said that hands down, LP2s are for bassheads, like me.

Yes, for someone wanting better soundstage, or a DJ with full frequencies, M100s. But "better overall, no question" is true, for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back