What happens if you leave your iPod running without headphones plugged in?
Apr 18, 2008 at 4:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

vhobhstr

100+ Head-Fier
I plugged my headphones into my iPod today and music was already playing. The screen showed that it was on shuffle and was on the 3xxth song. Did I damage my iPod? It still works fine. I hope I'm worrying over nothing.

Apr 18, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #3 of 19
Why would it be damaged??? Does it work?

It sounds like the play button got pushed accidently about 3xx songs ago. With or without headphones plugged in it's going to just play. Use the hold switch.

Side note...if you have headphones plugged in and it's playing, it will pause (and eventually shut off) if you unplug the phones.

Apr 18, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It probably just wondered where you were and got lonely.

Don't worry about it.

Ian

LMAO.

+1 for nothing wrong with the iPod..you didn't do any damage.

Apr 18, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #7 of 19
The last time I did that I had to get a new one.

wink.gif

Apr 18, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #9 of 19
It will run out of batteries in 8-10 hours.
Done that several times...
tongue.gif

Apr 18, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #10 of 19
actually should last longer then with headphones plugged in...since the battery doesnt have to push any headphones =)

Apr 18, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #11 of 19
Thanks for the responses guys =)

I've been listening to my music for a while and it sounds the same. I guess the designers of the audio components took into consideration the "no headphones" scenario.

Apr 18, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by vhobhstr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the responses guys =)

I've been listening to my music for a while and it sounds the same. I guess the designers of the audio components took into consideration the "no headphones" scenario.

Of coarse it sounds the same, what did you think would happen?
confused.gif

Apr 18, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by vulc4n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of coarse it sounds the same, what did you think would happen?
confused.gif

Since my headphones weren't plugged in I thought that the electrons would find someplace else in the circuitry to flow through, possibly causing damage. Apparently everything's ok.

Apr 18, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by vhobhstr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since my headphones weren't plugged in I thought that the electrons would find someplace else in the circuitry to flow through, possibly causing damage. Apparently everything's ok.

That's basically the equivalent of saying that you thought you had ruined your car by letting it sit and idle for a couple hours while it was parked.

Sure your running down your gas/battery for no purpose, but its not going to cause damage.
biggrin.gif

Apr 18, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #15 of 19
There might be a big bulge in the screen tomorrow morning because when it gets dark, the electrons all force their way out of the ipod looking for light. They go at the speed of sound and millions of tiny boogers hit that screen and it can tend to bulge a bit after such an assault.

Ian

PS: Everything is fine. It's easily done and nothing happens.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back