What happens if you connect two DAC's in series?
Dec 21, 2013 at 1:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

darkfireblade25

100+ Head-Fier
I was wondering because I plan to do this with my iPad, but also because of curiosity. Does it get reprocessed or does it just makes it sound more towards what the down the line DAC's signature sounds like? Will it destroy some of the sound in any way?

Dec 21, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #2 of 6
It's not physically possible.  A DAC = Digital to analog converter, unless you have a DAC with a digital output nothing will happen.  Anything a DAC sends out is analog so I guess you would need to get an AD converter to process it back into a digital source? Either way it would be pointless and hurt sound quality, the more links in the system the more chances for interference.

Dec 21, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #3 of 6
So you plug in the first DAC into your device and it will transform the 1s and 0s of your music files to an analog signal, now then, how would the second DAC do anything? It is a Digital-to-Analog Converter and because the first DAC had done it's job, there isn't anything the second one could do now.

Dec 21, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #4 of 6
Some DAC/amp combos have analog inputs which will bypass the DAC. So only the amp portion of the device will process the signal.

Dec 28, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #5 of 6
  I was wondering because I plan to do this with my iPad, but also because of curiosity. Does it get reprocessed or does it just makes it sound more towards what the down the line DAC's signature sounds like? Will it destroy some of the sound in any way?

How do you send out a signal from a DAC that can be an input into another DAC? A DAC converts a digital signal into an analog waveform that can be amplified and sent to a speaker or headphone, ergo the analog signal that comes out of it can't go into the digital inputs on a DAC.

If for example one DAC has an SPDIF output that can take the digital signal through USB, then any influence on the sound in this first DAC will be audible if this DAC does a very poor job of converting the USB input into an SPDIF output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back