What happened to Thorens? (TT suggestions pls)
Nov 28, 2003 at 11:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

marios_mar

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyone knows anything about this TD-295 MKIII. TT , has seen reviews etc?

I cant find too much on it on audioasylum. I would like to find some reviews maybe and comparisons with other tables.

Its made I think from the new Thorens. Whats the difference between the new and old thorens? Dont the same guys that used to build the TTs still build them now in Germany?

Is the 295MKIII a good buy for a new TT. I want to buy something that is probably german made because it is going to have outstanding quality most likely and I dont want to spend pointlessly more money for TTs imported to the EU.

Like the headphones. The prices for new Grados in Europe are silly. The Senns are good priced. This TD-295 sells for like 500EUROS while in the US 700. Im sure this happens the other way too. So suggest me some good TTs that are'n American or Japanese made.

I cant and I dont want to spend too much money (over 500) on a TT right now.

Nov 28, 2003 at 12:52 PM Post #2 of 5
marios_mar: As far as I know, the TD170, TD190 and TD295 are the last remainders of the old Thorens, but still distributed by the new Thorens along with their new TD 800 series. Construction-wise the 295 is similar to the older 280 and 290, and the arm is also an original Thorens construction unlike the Rega arms on the 800s. I'd say the TD295 is a nice entry level player for the audio enthusiast with a moderate, but not really cheap price. You might make the better deal with a Dual CS505-4, though, which should perform on similar level.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Nov 28, 2003 at 12:59 PM Post #3 of 5
Hi marios_mar,

you could also go withe the new Clearaudio Emotion. It's from germany and the build quality seems outstanding. AFAIK the price is 690 € complete with tonearm and cartridge. For more information just visit:

http://www.clearaudio.de/res1/index.html

You could also go with a Rega table... They are from the uk and information can be found here:

http://www.rega.co.uk/

As far as Thorens goes, the new tables from the 800s series are said to be very good. But I think they are a bit pricier, than what you want to spend. Don't know much about the older Thorens, sorry.

Lukas

Nov 28, 2003 at 1:16 PM Post #4 of 5
Lukas: As far is I know, 690 Euro was the originally planned price for table and arm only - but it seems as if they couldn't keep to that. So it's more like 740 Euro for table and arm and a bit over 800 Euro bundled with the Clearaudio pickup, now. Street price should probably be some 700/800 Euro respectively.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: The new Pro-Ject Expression (with the carbon arm tube) should be interesting, too. Combined with an Ortofon VinylMaster Red or an AT120E it's still a bit cheaper than the TD295, which only comes with an OMB10...

Nov 28, 2003 at 5:58 PM Post #5 of 5
700 EUROS is too much for a student. I didnt mean that much.

Where is the Project made? Does anyone know the pro-ject 1.2? Its supposed to be good and its not too expensive.

Id say 400-500 MAXIMUM!

For 740 I could buy the Sheu Cello kit which is superior. So cheaper suggestions please.

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back