What happened to the Ultra Desktop DAC?
Aug 15, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #16 of 40
It would seem that HeadRoom gear has demonstrated how perception has a lot to do with purchasing.  No matter how a user may wow over the Ultra micro dac, the typical purchaser simply cannot reconcile the price with its appearance.  The same for the Ultra Desktop Amp.  It seems to be largely about image and popularity these days.  A tough business.  With the almost non-existent discussions on HeadRoom Gear, something radical needs to be done or the inevitable will occur.

Aug 16, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #17 of 40
me myself has always like the design of headrooms micro and desktop components over much that i see on the market. very clean design! i also prefer the micro and desktop over their earlier products. that is not saying that i do not see other designs that i like more but most that i do like do not even make headphone amps or even have the options i want. headroom fills that bill better than most for me and why i continue to purchase their products..

Aug 16, 2010 at 6:43 AM Post #18 of 40

Quote:
me myself has always like the design of headrooms micro and desktop components over much that i see on the market. very clean design! i also prefer the micro and desktop over their earlier products. that is not saying that i do not see other designs that i like more but most that i do like do not even make headphone amps or even have the options i want. headroom fills that bill better than most for me and why i continue to purchase their products..

I share your view, but we do seem like a relatively uncommon POV and taste.

Aug 16, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #19 of 40
Well you have a point Aimlink with no one talking about their product on the site, but we really have no idea how many people out there are using HR's stuff and are just not people who use this forum. I think that's where they're doing most of their business. The people on Headfi seem to get caught up in the marketing blitzes of new products (well the site's own version of a marketing blitz, FOTM) . A good example of this is the LCD-2s remarkable pairing with the Ultra Desktop, which apparently after questioning in that amp thread NO ONE seems to have heard or is willing to comment on. I would bet good money it is right up there with all the amps people are gushing about in the amp thread, but alas, it's off limits or something.
confused_face(1).gif

Aug 16, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #20 of 40
I am relatively new to this hobby, but it would break my heart to see Headroom go down the pan. History aside, (and we have a lot to thank them for) in the current day I am uplifted and inspired by the thought that such a company could exist. They are exemplary in so many ways. And in my head they a rare counter example to the nagging suspicion that eventually the market taints every venture, no matter how well intentioned. To put it another way, for me Headroom showed that it is possible to be successfull without being compromised.
To see that happen now would be just tragic.

Aug 16, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #21 of 40
Did anyone know why did Tyll leave his position at Headroom and on what terms? He is such a long time figure in the headphone industry and there is just a quiet flavor to all of these. It may be internal affairs (aka none of our business) but customers definitely would like to know what new direction the company is heading and who is in charge and the philosophy that the company has in approaching their product lines.

Aug 18, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #22 of 40
Okay guys, here’s the schtick and sorry for the delayed response.  Because the Ultra Desktop DAC does not live up to HeadRoom’s standards, we’ve discontinued the product indefinitely. 

In a nutshell, we’re unhappy with the UDAC because of a design flaw in the implementation of USB.  The essence of the problem when listening via USB input is a small static sound, or glitch, that can happen randomly during a listening session.  After a lot of back-and-forth with ESS, trouble-shooting and racking of brains, we’re left to conclude it is a flaw in our own engineering.

The UDAC still works beautifully with coaxial or optical inputs.  It is only in the USB that we’ve had issues.  To fix will require a complete redesign and new production of the board.  And with that much required, we simply won’t do it without an upgrade to at least 24/96, possibly 24/192.  Problem is, that’s a pretty big investment.

Yep, the economy has definitely impacted our business but we’re still working hard every day to give our customers the service and products they need.  Sometimes you gotta pull a product out of the line-up—so goes life in our business.  BTW, we discontinued the Ultra Micro line last winter due to poor sales--current sale of DACs is to blow out remaining inventory.

Anyway, hope that explanation helps and thanks for your continued support!

Best,
Travis

Aug 18, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #23 of 40
Much appreciate the straight talk, Travis. This is what I expect from a quality company like Headroom. Too bad that you didn't catch the problem before it was release to the market or before I bought the UDAC:wink:

Aug 19, 2010 at 1:07 PM Post #24 of 40
thank you travis!

i got a udac in monday that i got here off the for sale forums and i am loving it. 

i have yet to use the usb connection on any of the two previous hr dac's i have owned so i have not tried the usb connection on the udac yet. 

i know i read something about one person having a hum and another having issues with airport express but that is it. 

is this something being heard on all the udac's produced? and how has headroom been handling it?

would any of you other udac owners speak of your experience with the udac and it's usb connection?

Aug 19, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #25 of 40
Hi noseallinit,

No, it is not something heard in all UDAC's but enough of them to warrant concern.  Unfortunately we are unable to pinpoint the exact reason which is why it is discontinued. 

Aug 19, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #26 of 40
thank you jamey!

i'm testing the usb connection out now and in this short period of listening i do not hear any static or anything else. as far as i can tell with going back and forth between the two, the usb connection sounds just as good as the fiberoptic. using me macbook with aiff files. 

the biggest thing i was concerned about was how much of a jump the udac would be over the ultra micro dac. without going back and forth between the two it seems to be a big one..

Quote:
Hi noseallinit,

No, it is not something heard in all UDAC's but enough of them to warrant concern.  Unfortunately we are unable to pinpoint the exact reason which is why it is discontinued. 

Aug 20, 2010 at 10:13 AM Post #27 of 40
Thanks Travis and Jamey for your responses.  As a happy and proud owner of the ultra desktop stack (and several other HR products) I appreciate the update.  I was not trying to cause any problems, actually quite the contrary.  I thought that you might be updating the udac to the newer ess chips and perhaps including asynchronous USB.  It is unfortunate that the USB implementation has been troublesome.  Good luck with the fix.  

As I have said before, the ultra desktop stack is awesome and I could not be happier.  As a company you are tremendous in both customer service/support and products and I will never hesitate to send potential customers your way!!
beerchug.gif

Thanks,
Tom

Aug 20, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #28 of 40

Quote:
As a company you are tremendous in both customer service/support and products and I will never hesitate to send potential customers your way!!
beerchug.gif

Yesss... Tyll and Headroom pretty much single handedly made headphones what they are today. Sometimes I worry that people are forgetting that. I won't let it happen! I will be spreading the word everywhere I go
L3000.gif

Cheers!

Aug 28, 2010 at 7:31 AM Post #30 of 40
fallsroad, it is sad but true.  See this link.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back