what happened to the singer/songwriter genre? (James Morrison)
Mar 17, 2007 at 8:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

58impala

100+ Head-Fier
when did it get exciting?

This James Morrison - Undiscovered album is great. Similar in a way to John Mayer, but less sterile* and more fun.

Lately I have been hearing some good songs that I guess would be considered in the genre of singer/songwriter.

Where's a good place to start with this genre outside of Bob Dylan?

Mar 18, 2007 at 4:03 AM Post #2 of 18
Don Mclean is quintessential. More recently, think Beck or Sufjan Stevens.

Mar 18, 2007 at 6:44 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Andrew Bird
Bright Eyes
Destroyer
Elliot Smith
Jenny Lewis
Ryan Adams
M. Ward
Damien Rice
Iron and Wine

enjoy!

Yes!!!

all great artists!!!, but elliott smith, to me, is THE singer-songwriter. Funnily enough, but he doesnt really consider himself a singer-songwriter.

Mar 18, 2007 at 8:02 AM Post #5 of 18
Coltrane's list + these all strike me as fitting in the same category, even when they play under a pseudo-group name:
Damien Jurado
Will Oldham (or Bonnie Prince Billy, or whatever else he wants to call himself)
Richard Buckner
Cat Power
Mark Kozelek
Howe Gelb (though his Giant Sand material is usually stronger than the solo stuff)
Richard Hawley
Archer Prewitt
Ron Sexsmith
Joe Pernice
Neko Case
John Darnielle (Mountain Goats)

The cryptic and bleak Buckner remains my personal favorite of the singer/songwriter category (if there is such a thing), but I admit he is not for everyone. Last year's Meadow only made a few critic's best of lists, but its a very strong album.

Funny thing about Elliot Smith is that much as I like his albums, none of them strike me as classics (Either/Or is as close as he gets), unlike for example Will Oldham who has put out a string of remarkable albums through the 90s right up to last year's The Letting Go, but remains largely unknown to the general public.

By the way I see a new Andrew Bird album is out soon, which should help redeem a mediocre musical year so far.

Jun 28, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by zumaro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The cryptic and bleak Buckner remains my personal favorite of the singer/songwriter category (if there is such a thing), but I admit he is not for everyone. Last year's Meadow only made a few critic's best of lists, but its a very strong album.
By the way I see a new Andrew Bird album is out soon, which should help redeem a mediocre musical year so far.

Just picked up Meadow a couple weeks ago and it's rapidly become a big favorite of mine too. Especially the opening songs. Very strong. Not too much different from the past, but probably not a bad intro to the guy either. I really like the rawness of some of his earlier work, but some great playing on this one, and his voice is really getting some great character, not that it wasn't always distinctive. And you were right, Andrew Bird did come through, along with the National and Electrelane and Blonde Redhead and Richmond Fontaine and some others. And new ones from other favorites like Spoon and Pinback, and the sophmore release from Wayne Robbins & the Hellsayers that I really look forward to.

Jun 28, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #9 of 18
Cat Stevens
Jack Johnson
Colin Hay
Gordon Lightfoot
Donovan Frankenreiter

Jun 28, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #10 of 18
Singer-Songwriter genre is definitely exploding these days, thank goodness. We all feared for the worst when the bubblegums ruled supreme, but kids these days seem to be paying attention more to lyrics once more.

Jun 28, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #11 of 18
There are some great suggestions here, I just want to add;

Mark Lanegan - Bubblegum, Field Songs, Whiskey for the Holy Ghost.

If I had to name one album as my all time favorite(of any album) it would
have to be Bubblegum. Dark mood music.

Jun 28, 2007 at 11:34 PM Post #13 of 18
Didn't notice these mentioned:

Amos Lee

Teitur (fairly obscure, but HIGHLY RECOMMENDED... I discovered him when he was mentioned by John Mayer in one of his Esquire columns)

Amy Millan (of Stars fame)

Jun 30, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #14 of 18
Ray Davies is my favorite S/S of all time. Waterloo Sunset, Some Mother's Son, Shangri-la, Sunny Afternoon, I'm not like everybody else, Mr. Pleasant, Village Green, Celluloid Heroes, Sitting in my Hotel Room,(I could go on forever.......).

My contemporary pick would be David Berman of the Silver Jews.

Jun 30, 2007 at 2:18 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaughn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are some great suggestions here, I just want to add;

Mark Lanegan - Bubblegum, Field Songs, Whiskey for the Holy Ghost.

If I had to name one album as my all time favorite(of any album) it would
have to be Bubblegum. Dark mood music.

Wow, do love that record. Think I even called it my best of 2004 here for awhile ...
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...27#post1162627 ... but just so much good stuff that year it has to share the spot with. I do agree that it might be his best, and PJ Harvey really adds a lot to it for me, still doesn't have quite the flow I'd like to hear, but bet you could make one damn great best of disc from his solo stuff. Hmmm, wonder what else might be on your list of favorites?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back