What Happened to the Rio Karma?
Jan 25, 2006 at 9:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

jlo mein

In some place that's not Canada ....the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
I went browsing the Rio site and noticed they only have the small capacity HD players now. What happened?

2 years ago I was about to buy one when I was on a trip to Oregon. Only thing that stopped me was that in a brick and mortar store, it was vastly overpriced, equal to the 4G Ipod 20gb at the time.

Jan 25, 2006 at 11:06 AM Post #2 of 14
As I understand it, a replacement has been in the pipeline for.... ever now, but it's been delayed and delayed. There are lots of rumours about though.

Oh, and the existing ones have mostly broken...

Nick

Jan 25, 2006 at 11:53 AM Post #3 of 14
I've had my Rio Karma since summer of 2004 (bought it brand new) and never ever had a problem with it. Knock on wood.
icon10.gif

Jan 25, 2006 at 2:41 PM Post #7 of 14
amazon.com was selling a reconditioned rio karma 20g for about $160 recently. Don't know if any are left, but you might check with them.

Jan 25, 2006 at 3:23 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by balcar
amazon.com was selling a reconditioned rio karma 20g for about $160 recently. Don't know if any are left, but you might check with them.

I bought two of these "remanufactured" units from Amazon last year and both died from hard drive failure within a week of each other. They were also in less than optimal cosmetic condition, one much worse than the other (screen scratches and major scuff marks).

At any rate it's a moot point since Amazon no longer has them available, and Amazon Marketplace prices are ranging from $299-$450
eek.gif
for remanufactured Karmas. Holy crap!

Jan 25, 2006 at 3:28 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel
I bought two of these "remanufactured" units from Amazon last year and both died from hard drive failure within a week of each other. They were also in less than optimal cosmetic condition, one much worse than the other (screen scratches and major scuff marks).

At any rate it's a moot point since Amazon no longer has them available, and Amazon Marketplace prices are ranging from $299-$450
eek.gif
for remanufactured Karmas. Holy crap!

Mine looks and works pretty well. Maybe I should sell it, if folks are paying that kind of money!!!

Jan 25, 2006 at 3:39 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by balcar
Mine looks and works pretty well. Maybe I should sell it, if folks are paying that kind of money!!!

The $450 units are modified with 60GB hard drives. Really though, just because someone is trying to sell used 20GB Karmas for three hundred bucks doesn't mean they're actually selling any.
icon10.gif
Anyway, I'm glad to hear you got a good one. I liked the player but after watching two of them go belly-up I decided that the karma wasn't worth the risk for me.

Just a heads-up, there is one eBay seller (Crown Photoworld) that has the remanufactured 20GB units for $159.99, but they want $20 for shipping
rolleyes.gif
:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rio-karma-20GB-M...QQcmdZViewItem

The listing states they have 14 available.

Jan 25, 2006 at 11:09 PM Post #11 of 14
so one's modified with aftermarket HDD's...they would be less prone to Karma failure? Since the main Karma issue in peticular seems like HDD failure?

I think its rather ironic that so many have died and the product itself is named Karma...makes you wonder what you did to deserve it hehe...
very_evil_smiley.gif

edit: second question. I remember reading that when a lot of Karma failures started happening after the release, people started buying retailer extended warranties that offer no hassle product replacement. I wonder what they would get as replacement if there are no more Karma's and no future product evolution.

Jan 25, 2006 at 11:20 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel
Just a heads-up, there is one eBay seller (Crown Photoworld) that has the remanufactured 20GB units for $159.99, but they want $20 for shipping
rolleyes.gif
:

I hate folks who ruin a good deal by trying to make outrageous profit on shipping. Even with insurance, that's ridiculous.

Jan 25, 2006 at 11:44 PM Post #13 of 14
I'm really sad that they're not making an updated Karma. It would have been an amazing player if it weren't for it being extreamly fragile. If they would have worked on the obvious flaws and puting in a line out or making a pocket dock line out then it would have been a favorite around here. For the price who the flip would want one.

Jan 26, 2006 at 12:02 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlo mein
I think its rather ironic that so many have died and the product itself is named Karma...makes you wonder what you did to deserve it hehe...
very_evil_smiley.gif

I thank you for causing me to flush my sinuses with cold Stone IPA.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back