What happened to the DVD963SA thread?
Jan 23, 2003 at 8:36 AM Post #16 of 73
Ok guys a few pics of the Philips DVD963A .

My early impressions are very positive.This player is capable of hyper-detail.The treble is unreal and the bass is super deep.I still don't like the single audio output jacks but this player has some very nice features like disc recognition and a very nice logic function.It won't even try to play a multi-channel audio disc in the surround mode unless the player is connected to a multi-channel amp.It goes to upsampling automatically and offers three rates.The manual lists the highest rate as 172khz but the display says 192khz/24 bit.there is also a remote switching between the SACD and redbook layers on Hybrid discs.The blue LEDs are cool looking and the display is very complete displaying all functions.

A look inside does indeed reveal the promised dual layered bottom and isolated power supplies.They are not as huge as claimed but there are seperate supplies for the audio and video circuits.I count six audio Dacs and two video chips.

I am listening to the player right now with my JMT Super META42 with HD600/Equinox combo.I like what I hear a lot.This player clearly sounds much better than the Marantz SA-14 and the $3000 Opera Tubed SACD player I have on hand right now.I'm listening to the unit that will be used by my wife primarily as a DVD player.I want to connect it to her system now but she's asleep and doesn't allow me in her office since I left a copy of "Girls Gone Wild" in her DVD player.

I think this player could use some chassis damping and isolation.I will try some dynamat after I basline the sonics later on.I'll keep you guys posted.

Jan 23, 2003 at 8:51 AM Post #17 of 73
Thanks for your initial impressions and great pictures, Tubroller
biggrin.gif

Is it really that noisy, or do you just want to get it as quiet as you can?

Again, many thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2003 at 10:01 AM Post #18 of 73
Thanks for the early impressions and pictures!

Regarding your complaint of only one set of audio outs: I noticed in a .pdf of the European manual it stated -- now this is a direct quote -- "For the best sound quality with playback of audio CD's and stereo SACDs, always use the left and right connectors of the high-quality stereo/Multi-channel audio output. The separate stereo output is intended only for connection to video equipment such as a TV set." Perhaps I am interpreting this incorrectly, but it seems as if they suggest connecting an amp to the front l&r of the multichannel audio out rather than the separate audio out. Did you come across anything like this in your manual?

Jan 23, 2003 at 11:38 AM Post #19 of 73
Quote:

Originally posted by Tuberoller
since I left a copy of "Girls Gone Wild" in her DVD player.

LOL, like to live dangerously I see
tongue.gif

Thanks for the pics & impressions. Looks like J&R might have actually started shipping these...

smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2003 at 2:24 PM Post #20 of 73
After some careful reading of the manual it seems that the best connection method is to the left and right channels of the multi-channel output jacks.Very obvious gains in sound quality are obtained when using the "Audio Direct" switch which turns off all the video circuits for best possible sound.

I gotta say the DVD picture on this player is the best I have seen by a huge margin.I picked up a 50inch plasma HDTV a few days ago and the picture has never looked more realistic.I stayed up all night and watched "Black Hawk Down" and the picture is just awesome.

I am about to fall dead right now due to lack of sleep.I have been on a "new gear high" over the past few days and sleep has been secondary to the rush of plugging in new ****.See,I told you those trip to Las Vegas were productive.

So much new gear......................

Jan 23, 2003 at 3:39 PM Post #21 of 73
Quote:

Tuberoller said...

I picked up my player early this afternoon and bought it home to connect it and burn it in some.

Quote:

Tuberoller said...

I picked up a 50inch plasma HDTV a few days ago and the picture has never looked more realistic.

So... jealous...
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Jan 23, 2003 at 7:41 PM Post #22 of 73
massive toroidial power transformer, huh?

so that tiny red blotch on the left is what marketing people describe as "massive"?

actually, i heard that the ps was of the switching variety... disappointing if true, but the player seems to be good for the money...

Jan 23, 2003 at 7:54 PM Post #23 of 73
Quote:

Originally posted by yage
massive toroidial power transformer, huh?

so that tiny red blotch on the left is what marketing people describe as "massive"?

actually, i heard that the ps was of the switching variety... disappointing if true, but the player seems to be good for the money...

That was part of my post before. I'm thinking it could be explained by the "dual sided bottom," although I have no idea what that means. I'm thinking perhaps they seperated the PS into a seperate compartment in the bottom(not a bad idea considerring the risk of fatal shock in a medium-size switching power supply). Tuberoller: Have ye opened her up yet?

Jan 24, 2003 at 3:58 AM Post #24 of 73
Originally posted by Tuberoller

I gotta say the DVD picture on this player is the best I have seen by a huge margin.I picked up a 50inch plasma HDTV a few days ago and the picture has never looked more realistic.I stayed up all night and watched "Black Hawk Down" and the picture is just awesome.

Thanks for the preliminary reviews, Tuberoller. I've been interested in this unit since you first brought it to our attention. I was actually only looking at it as an sacd player, and, even more importantly, a great sounding upsampling cd player for use in my headphone audio system which I use while computing. Hadnt even considered using as a dvd player downstairs on the main music and home theater system. I've been very happy with my original model, Sony 9000ES. When you say that its provides the best picture that you ve seen, "by a wide margin" could you give us a few of those dvd players that fall into that comparison? And it IS progressive scan, right?
And please keep us posted as you have more of an opportunity to listen, especially to upsampled cd's, and sacds. Once you wake up, that is! <g>

JC

Jan 24, 2003 at 4:20 AM Post #25 of 73
Quote:

Originally posted by jude
Fred, I'm not sure if this would be of interest to you, but Audioquest has a new power cord (either coming out or just came out) that is fits that type of jack/plug. Go to this link, and scroll down to the bottom to see it. I don't know what its price point is.

LOL, it's neither. It's actually two conductor in the three conductor IEC configuration sans ground. Go figure...

Jan 24, 2003 at 4:57 AM Post #26 of 73
Quote:

Looks like J&R might have actually started shipping these...

After checking my order status at J&R and seeing that my 963SA is apparently scheduled to ship, I gave them a ring. I was told that they did indeed receive a shipment, though I don't know how many are in stock.

Jan 24, 2003 at 5:18 AM Post #27 of 73
Quote:

Originally posted by Freddy
After checking my order status at J&R and seeing that my 963SA is apparently scheduled to ship, I gave them a ring. I was told that they did indeed receive a shipment, though I don't know how many are in stock.

They're shipping...
biggrin.gif
Trust me on this one...

smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 24, 2003 at 6:59 AM Post #28 of 73
I am going to write a full review of this player with a few pics this weekend.

I am just floored.I knew it was gonna be a good player but this thing is far beyond what I thought was capable at this price.The guys at Decibel Audio have two units in the store(they are not a Philips dealer) and I was at the shop tonight.This player is so much better than any other SACD player I have heard that I feel li I have never really heard what this format is capable of.The treble detail is amazing.I have not yet heard any CDP with this kind of detail without any ragged edges or harshness at the upper frequency extreme.The upsampling redbook performance is right up there with the best any of us has heard.It is easily the best player in the store right now and they are dealers for some major hi-end brands.

I am listening now with my Wheatfield HA2 and the HD600/Equinox combo to the latest Mobile Fidelity SACD(top secret pre-release) and it sounds incredible.When I was listening to my loudspeaker system I was impressed with the depth and width of the soundstage.Bass is tight and accurate and the midrange sounds damned near analog.

I am not a fan of the noisey transport and some chassis work is a must.When the player is placed on a solid surface the rotation of the disc and movement of the laser can be felt through the surface as vibrations.These types of damping problems are usually bi-directional,which means vibrations are likely just as easliy transferred back to the player.

My wife actually called me today to tell me how incredible the picture quality is.I might stay up a little while tonight and watch another movie.

Jan 24, 2003 at 5:36 PM Post #29 of 73
RE DHWILKINS POST: SAME RESPONSE

Tuberoller said... "I picked up my player early this afternoon and bought it home to connect it and burn it in some."

Tuberoller said... "I picked up a 50inch plasma HDTV a few days ago and the picture has never looked more realistic."

I'm baffled. I thought T-Roller was employed as a firefighter in the fair city of Chicago.

Tuberoller, you put out any fires at a bank lately...?
cool.gif

And, BTW, Jude, good work on discovering and shutting down those sly postings by the Phillips guy out to create a buzz about the unit.

Jan 24, 2003 at 6:25 PM Post #30 of 73
Quote:

Originally posted by chadbang
RE DHWILKINS POST: SAME RESPONSE

Tuberoller said... "I picked up my player early this afternoon and bought it home to connect it and burn it in some."

Tuberoller said... "I picked up a 50inch plasma HDTV a few days ago and the picture has never looked more realistic."

I'm baffled. I thought T-Roller was employed as a firefighter in the fair city of Chicago.

Tuberoller, you put out any fires at a bank lately...?
cool.gif

And, BTW, Jude, good work on discovering and shutting down those sly postings by the Phillips guy out to create a buzz about the unit.

The beauty of those trips to all the hi-end shows is that I make some really good contacts and get to buy stuff really,really cheap.Keep in mind that Philips' latest 50inch plasma HDTV costs $3,000 less than last year's model.Then eliminate the dealer mark-up and then eliminate the distributor and calculate cash purchase discounts.I almost never pay full retail for anything and I would never pay $12,000 for a TV.The savings on the TV alone more than paid for the entire trip to Las Vegas.This is why my wife doesn't mind when I go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back