What happened to my radio, Vancouver? xfm rant
Nov 24, 2003 at 3:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

zoboomofo

1000+ Head-Fier
Until recently, there were 2 good stations for modern rock in my town. The one with the kick-***** weekend countdown show just vanished 4 days ago to be replaced by an X-mas tunes station. The website changed to a dead-end front page, and there was no mention of the format change. From what I heard in this link , 104.9 xfm was shut down despite good ratings. This doesn't bode well for the local radio scene, since middle aged geezer fluff pop has started to rule the waves (no offense to the geezers here
wink.gif
) We need a modern rock station with balls. We need airplay for new hot bands, and local rockers. Think of the kids!!!

edit: Oh wait. looks like there's another decent station: 91.3 The Zone.

Nov 24, 2003 at 6:34 PM Post #2 of 14
I've given up on radio stations in Vancouver. You can't listen for more than a couple of hours without hearing the same stuff over and over.
I still listen to Rock 101 when I'm driving, but I usually take the bus so that doesn't happen very often anymore.

Nov 25, 2003 at 3:17 AM Post #4 of 14
I think Bif is the best thing on the radio right now, too. As long as Nickelback and Default are on the rotation, I won't be giving cfox top marks. Geez, we've got to have better rockers than those two. cfmi has a tiny playlist but it's very tasteful - none of that horrid 'jack'ass fm crap. CBC stereo usually gets my ear too - Saturday night Canadian rock talent showcase :thumbs up: It's no coincidence that cfox always makes me happy when their CBC alum are on the air: David Hawkes (where are you now?), Jenna Chow, and especially the Punkorama chick.

Nov 25, 2003 at 6:22 AM Post #5 of 14
Ack! After living in Vancouver for a little over a year, I have to say that both CFOX 99.3 and XFM 104.9 are awful modern rock radio stations. They're even terrible compared to Edge 102.1 in Toronto. The Edge 102.1 The Edge (formerly called CFNY 102.1) used to be a fantastic alternative/modern rock station back in the mid-late 90s. I must admit to listening to 99.3, 104.9, and even 95.3 when I drive around (mainly cause I do not have a CD player in my car... yet..), but they don't play a very wide variety of music at all.. ugh.

Anyway, regarding your worries about XFM- They will almost undoubtedly return 104.9 Christmas FM back to 104.9 XFM after the Christmas season. A radio station in Toronto, or different radio stations in Toronto, have (I've been told) been doing such things for years- and always have returned to their previous programming once the christmas season was over. It's just an easy market.

BTW: What is the frequency for CBC Stereo?? I always listen at 690 AM- but I hate AM radio.

Nov 25, 2003 at 6:39 AM Post #7 of 14
Oh, that's just too painful to read. And my heavens, Christmas is still more than a month a way.

Do Canadian radio stations still have the percentage Canadian content rule? I would imagine that Canadian Christmas songs is a rather specialized category.

Nov 25, 2003 at 6:47 AM Post #8 of 14
All of the CanCon that's played on Canadian Radio sucks...I don't know how much needs to be played [crap...I'm a memeber of CiTR, the UBC radio station, I should know...], I could find out...hardly any Canadian radio station on FM play what I like to listen to...as a result, I hardly listen to the radio at all...CiTR sometimes, though....when they have interesting stuff...

For finding music to listen to I usually read reviews and forums and then do my own investigation....

Nov 25, 2003 at 7:40 AM Post #9 of 14
My mom told me just the other day that she heard about a rock radio station in Vancouver that had just recently turned into the Christmas radio station, and that after Christmas, they will return after re-examining their demographic. This is because their demographic has changed. Teenagers are more likely to listen to a wider range of music now, with downloading music being what it is, more music is available for them to hear for free. this means that one person can like Coldplay, Pearl Jam, Norah Jones, Radiohead, etc...

So I'm hoping that XFM (if this was indeed XFM that she was talking about) does re-examine their demographic and stop playing Nickelback, Creed, Trapt, Billy Talent, Three Days Grace, Three Doors Down, Default, and Evanescence all damn day long.

Nov 25, 2003 at 8:43 AM Post #10 of 14
heh, never knew there were so many members here that live in teh same city as me!

but anyways, I usually listen to 95.3/96.9/103.5

I'm starting to dislike all of them, 95.3 plays nothing but rap, whcih I HATE! and the remaining two stations never really play the songs I really like...

but oh well, it's free!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 25, 2003 at 6:25 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by sapphiremodena
So I'm hoping that XFM (if this was indeed XFM that she was talking about) does re-examine their demographic and stop playing Nickelback, Creed, Trapt, Billy Talent, Three Days Grace, Three Doors Down, Default, and Evanescence all damn day long.

If only we were so lucky to have a radio station that played good music from a wide range of pop music styles but WASN'T a top-40 station.

I am pretty thankful for CanCon- I Think we'd have a lot less good Canadian Content if stations were not forced to play some percentage of Canadian music, and I strongly disagree that all of it sucks- that new acoustic Finger 11 song is really great! I don't know that I like the new BNL, but I have enjoyed a lot of their stuff in the past.
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, I think one of either CFOX or X-FM in Vancouver is enough- I'd rather have more variety.

Nov 25, 2003 at 9:36 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by waylman
why even listen to the radio???? put a cd on

Couple of reasons come to mind.

First of all, I don't have a CD player in my car:

Quote:

Originally posted by Clutz
I must admit to listening to 99.3, 104.9, and even 95.3 when I drive around (mainly cause I do not have a CD player in my car... yet..), but they don't play a very wide variety of music at all.. ugh.

Second, it's one of the most effective ways I have for being exposed to new music.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 25, 2003 at 10:31 PM Post #14 of 14
Exactly. What Clutz said.

Thanks for the sort-of good news on the sort-of format return. I'm not expecting a top notch radio station; that's impossible these days with the plug-o-la going on (ie. play this song to death to promote bands whose concerts are presented by that station). Things have gotten worse with the conglomeration of stations leading to the smallest of playlists (Z used to be great for fresh music 12 years back). I try to listen to CITR, but it's never what I want to hear when I'm in the car. CBC (105.7) is great for exposing me to classical, jazz, electronica, and up-and-comers. They have great personalities (Ross Porter - the coolest voice ever), and cool shows (ie. vinyl cafe, disc drive, brave new waves.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back