What happened to my ipod?
May 4, 2009 at 12:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

That dude

500+ Head-Fier
I've got a iPod 5.5g 80gb, non modded in anyway. On the way to school today, I turned it on and all my songs were gone! I checked the "about" section and it still says I've used 74gb out of ~76gb. So the songs are in there, somewhere.

Besides formatting and re-ripping my entire CD collection (
frown.gif
), is there anyway I can simply get the songs to show on my ipod again?

*I'm in school now without my ipod cable so I can't connect my ipod to my mac atm.

May 4, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #2 of 24
You don't have your ripped CD collection saved on your computer?

Have you tried a hard reset?

Most likely it's a problem with the hard drive. Have you dropped it while listening to music lately?

May 4, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #3 of 24
No, I haven't dropped it, at least I think I didn't. My ripped CD collection will be too large to store on my computer so I deleted most of the collection.

How do I do a hard reset?

May 4, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #4 of 24
A hard reset is done by holding down on the power and menu button at the same time.
Also if I am not mistaken what ever computer you synced your Ipod to if the songs are
deleted on that computer they will also delete on the ipod.

May 4, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #5 of 24
My computer is set to "do not sync"... And again, the ipod hard drive is full, so the songs are in the hard drive, just not showing on screen. I've hard reset a couple of times, no dice.

Help...

May 4, 2009 at 10:16 AM Post #6 of 24
I'm home and I've connected my ipod to my mac. It's officially dead.

Please close thread. Thanks!

May 4, 2009 at 10:19 AM Post #7 of 24
Ouch, I feel for you. What you obviously want to do is connect it to your PC back at home.
The fact that you can 'see' your songs take 74GB of space doesn't mean they are actually there. They might have been compromised because of a failing HDD. At least that is what I think.

May 4, 2009 at 10:30 AM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by That dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, I haven't dropped it, at least I think I didn't. My ripped CD collection will be too large to store on my computer so I deleted most of the collection.

You either have a huge collection, or a small hard drive. With modern hard drives you will be able to fit most people's collection (except those with thousands of CD's) as lossless.

May 4, 2009 at 11:37 AM Post #9 of 24
i lost my playlists too, on a 30gb photo, tried everything. internet sites say free program for this problem but none were free. pissed off. all my music was backed up on several dvds. still pisses me off
angry_face.gif

May 4, 2009 at 12:41 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You either have a huge collection, or a small hard drive. With modern hard drives you will be able to fit most people's collection (except those with thousands of CD's) as lossless.

I have a 200gb hard drive on my Macbook pro. That's tiny. Moreover, I have at least 120gb of songs (about 250 CDs) and I don't want to slow down the computer.

Anyway, I've transfered most of the songs back on to my ipod since I have some files backed up on another hard drive. I've just got to re-rip all of the more recent purchases.

May 4, 2009 at 12:45 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by That dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a 200gb hard drive on my Macbook pro. That's tiny. Moreover, I have at least 120gb of songs (about 250 CDs) and I don't want to slow down the computer.

Anyway, I've transfered most of the songs back on to my ipod since I have some files backed up on another hard drive. I've just got to re-rip all of the more recent purchases.

Am I right in assuming that you deleted over 30GB of music then? I would seriously consider getting an external HDD. My music collection is getting bigger every day so I too am looking for some sort of back up...

May 4, 2009 at 12:46 PM Post #13 of 24
^ Either that's fantastic sarcasm or you think I'm wrong by saying filling up my Mac's hard drive won't slow down loading times. More files = more clutter = slower performance, I think.

Either way, I do not compute.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 4, 2009 at 12:51 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Am I right in assuming that you deleted over 30GB of music then? I would seriously consider getting an external HDD. My music collection is getting bigger every day so I too am looking for some sort of back up...

Problem with an external drive is, every time you unplug it, itunes can't locate the files when you try to play a song, but you don't know what's there and what's not (I want to have a small selection of songs I can play on my laptop). I bring my mac out often so I would unplug the hard drive often. What I plan to do is, rip the stuff I want, save the entire itunes folder on my 1tb drive then clean delete both itunes and the folder before starting afresh. That way, when my ipod fails again, I can just easily drag the entire library onto the ipod.

May 4, 2009 at 1:02 PM Post #15 of 24
your computer will only slow down due to more files if you do not defrag the drive regularly; or if you dont leave enough spare space on the system drive to provide scratch space for your ram ie. at least 3 times the amount of ram you have. otherwise it will have zero effect on the I/O of your computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back