What happened to Grommes PHI-26???
Feb 11, 2010 at 12:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Midrange Monster

New Head-Fier
I did some searches here and could not find any threads on this amp....

My buddy whose opinion I trust used to sell these and recommends them highly.

I'm strictly a tube guy these days and would like to know about amps that sound like the PHI-26. Or maybe Grommes has a replacement in the works...

As my screen name suggests I love midrange, warm, relaxed sound with strong midbass. Thin sounding amps need not apply!

Jun 26, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #3 of 23
Dead thread, but I can add something. Grommes seems to have stopped building these a few years ago. They were quite a success in the local audio shop, but at some point - after long delays - the shop was told they would not be putting together any more.

Unfortunately, only a few were built, my wild guess being 25 to 40. I purchased one new and scored another off eBay, used. A friend I recommended it to found one online some time later. My guess is that about thirteen were built for the original thirteen dealers, and that most of the follow up orders were through the local dealer here.

Either I am going deaf, or they are one of the best sounding amps ever designed. They listed for $995. The audiophile market being what it is, they probably would have been a sales success if they had asked $2000 or more for them. The designer, Alan Kimmel, now works for Modwright and his designs are available there. They are no longer low power and do not cost $995. They do use Alan's Mu Stage, which in a preamp typically has 30dB of gain and absolutely no noise; any distortion is not in the audio band.

The entire integrated PHI-26 was completely noise free, dead silent. If you find one, try the old Russian 6P14P-EB power tubes. They are cheap but quieter than any NOS tubes. The 6N1P tubes are all built by Voskhod, no matter how they are labeled, so don't pay more than a few dollars for them. They are superb. I did get a couple of old Orel 6N1Ps from a dealer in France, non military spec, but they seem to be, like Orel, gone, The PHI sounds great because of very clever design; expensive parts are not necessary, or even useful. Alan's vast expertise also informed the physical point to point layout, making it a major contributor to the absence of any noise. He also specs the transformers for each of his designs, not using any off the shelf units. Simple as these are, you could not build one yourself that would sound as good as the factory pieces.

Aug 22, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #5 of 23
I listened to it briefly today with HD800s. Sounded very good but seemed to run out of power in low power (triode?) mode when the music got complex. The higher power mode held things together better and still sounded quite good. If they can actually manage to get their hands on them it will be worth a more serious listen. 

Sep 23, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #6 of 23
I wouldn't hold my breath.
The designer (he also worked on the 260 reissue and 360 mono amps) is long gone, Grommes/Precision Electronics won't work on them, and I couldn't even get them to return e-mails or phone calls to answer a few basic questions about the one I bought as a dealer demo last November.

It is an awesome, flexible little amp though.

Lin

Sep 24, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #7 of 23
Found this on a deep Google search last night, called today and was told it sold last week. :frowning2:

http://www.sweethomeaudio.com/SHA%20Newsletters/June_2010_Newsletter_files/Grommes%20PHI26.htm

Sep 25, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #8 of 23
Yeah, I'd say stick a fork in this one - it's done. 

I'm using a 15wpc tube integrated/headphone amp from Sound Quest, the SQ84 V2.   I'm skeptical the Grommes would have been any better.   And I can call up Steve at Sound Quest and get help or service any time. 

Jan 28, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #9 of 23
I was just at Arizonia Hi Fi where Jodet saw the Gommes PHI-26.  I was blown away by it.  Listened to it with speakers and with phones and ordered one i was so blown away by the sound.  I'm number 6 on the list so 3-6 months!

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #10 of 23
I have 2 Grommes phi-26 serial  #17 and a new one serial #41 that I just purchased from Arizona Hi Fi.
Great amp but I don't need both, anyone interested send me an email..Thanks Greg

Jun 26, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:
I was just at Arizonia Hi Fi where Jodet saw the Gommes PHI-26.  I was blown away by it.  Listened to it with speakers and with phones and ordered one i was so blown away by the sound.  I'm number 6 on the list so 3-6 months!

i was just at AZ HiFI this afternoon getting a new cartridge for my thorens.  i saw that amp, nice tubes, i gawked at it and didnt care who saw.  but sadly didnt hear it, it is getting savagely hot here in Phx and i was pressed for time.  i'm planning on going back in the coming weeks to have a listen.  i hear good things about it.  

roger  

Jul 4, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #13 of 23
You can still get the Grommes phi-26.  it does require a 6 month wait.  mine just came in and expect to get it monday.  Talk to Arizona HIFI.

it is a great sounding amp  demo's at AZ hifi in January and was in love.  Another amp to look at is the Decware Mini Torii.  rich full with some nice bass  not bad for 4 watts  lol

Jul 4, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #14 of 23
You can still get the Grommes phi-26.  it does require a 6 month wait.  mine just came in and expect to get it monday.  Talk to Arizona HIFI.

it is a great sounding amp  demo's at AZ hifi in January and was in love.  Another amp to look at is the Decware Mini Torii.  rich full with some nice bass  not bad for 4 watts  lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back