What happened in this world?
Jun 18, 2007 at 3:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

vvs_75

500+ Head-Fier
Grado PS-1 for $2500 !!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=011

You can buy L3000 right now in sale/trade forum for $2400!

I don’t have any words!
eek.gif

Jun 18, 2007 at 6:10 AM Post #6 of 47
That's an unreal price.

Jun 18, 2007 at 2:06 PM Post #8 of 47
more money than sense

Jun 18, 2007 at 3:07 PM Post #9 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
more money than sense

May apply to one man, but not necessarily to another.

For me in my current financial situation, I agree that is an insane price to pay for those particular phones at this point in time. However if I were rich, I would still have plenty of 'sense' and would happily pay such a price if I really wanted a (second) pair.

For a collector who really wants them, and realizes that they are very hard to come by, and only ~250 exist, the price is likely easily justified.

As discussed earlier, for a buyer who is rich and wipes his $$$ with hundred dollar bills, the price tag is just a drop in the bucket. Also, for a single man (or woman) with a decent income, no kids, and no other huge financial responsibilities; that isn't such a painful price tag.

For a Grado fan in search of his 'holy grail' of Grado phones, that price isn't all that bad when the big picture is considered. Looking at some of the prices of other discontinued top-shelf phones from other manufacturers, a $2500 price tag ranges from average, to pretty cheap depending on the phone in consideration. A few examples: Quailias, R10s, Brown L3000s, Green L3000s, Orpheus, Omega 1s, etc.

Whoever won those PS-1s really wanted them and so they went for it. And I say good for them! I hope they enjoy them even half as much as I suspect they will.

Jun 18, 2007 at 3:20 PM Post #10 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
May apply to one man, but not necessarily to another.

Agreed. I've seen people drop double that on a track day. $2500 is a lot in this hobby, but in some others it's a drop in the bucket.

Jun 18, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #11 of 47
Lots of money for a Grado phone.
But I guess it was worth it, for the buyer that is...

Jun 18, 2007 at 5:38 PM Post #13 of 47
Unobtanium is a strong allure for those with liquidity. If headphones are your main hobby, and you have money to burn, and you can't get a can anywhere else, and they rarely pop up, you gotta pull the trigger. I can see how this is more of a trend than an abnormality, for good or ill.

And folks, Grado hasn't done a "reissue" of any can ever, right? Well unless you count the refreshed SR40/iGrado line, hehe. So grab em while you can!

Jun 18, 2007 at 5:52 PM Post #14 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unobtanium is a strong allure for those with liquidity. If headphones are your main hobby, and you have money to burn, and you can't get a can anywhere else, and they rarely pop up, you gotta pull the trigger. I can see how this is more of a trend than an abnormality, for good or ill.

And folks, Grado hasn't done a "reissue" of any can ever, right? Well unless you count the refreshed SR40/iGrado line, hehe. So grab em while you can!

The real clincher to spending this type of money is that either they reissue it and you're screwed (as you say...not likely with Grado), or the more likely option that some new gadget comes out someday that you and everyone else thinks is better. At that point, PS-1 value goes down the tubes unless you're a "historical" collector.

If I knew for certain that one certain headphone was perfect for me and I would never want to replace it....I'd spend $2500 once and live a simple headphone existence forever after.

Jun 18, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #15 of 47
At that price it makes me question keeping mine. The only problem is the only other headphone I'd want is the L3000 and even then I'm not certain I'd like them better. The biggest benefit would be the comfort and noise blocking. I only got to hear them for 10 minutes at the meet and thought they sounded just as good on a brief listen but who knows in my setup and extended listening.

I finally got my setup perfect and can't hear any problems. Even the bass is very controlled and sounds perfect. I no longer have the urge to change anything but seeing a $2500 sale does make me think. It's almost as if I'm getting paid the listen to the PS-1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back