what good headphone AMP for sa5000?
Jul 30, 2005 at 2:55 AM Post #5 of 26
Choice of an amp for SA5K really depends on what you like about the Sonys.

I paired them with a PPA and got a cold, bright sound that emphasized the slightly etched quality of the SA5Ks. The combo reinforces the essential qualities of the Sony sound, and I liked the effect.

With a Ray Samuels HR-2 the Sony's lose some of their bright hardness, gain in warmth, and have more bass impact. They remain fast, but the sound softens.

A brief audition with a tube amp proved unsatisfactory because the Sonys lost their characteristic bite and speed. That may change with different tube equipment.

My preference is for a solid state amp with the SA5K. The PPA is the best fit in my setup.

I'd be curious to hear how other people have amped them, and with what results.

BW

Jul 30, 2005 at 3:19 AM Post #6 of 26
I thought Pete Millett's HA-2 was divine when paired with the SA5000. The most musical I have heard the SA5000 sound. It was smooooth!

Jul 30, 2005 at 3:23 AM Post #7 of 26
While not terribly experienced with amps and the SA5K. I find the Earmax Pro to be a fine mate when good clean tubes like Amp. 7308's are used. The treble energy does suffer, but TME the fabulous detail remains while adding much needed weight in the midbass region.

Jul 30, 2005 at 3:26 AM Post #8 of 26
I used my SA5K's with a Dynahi and Raptor. I thought they both were excellent matches. I think a good source (assuming it's playing a good recording) is especially important with the SA5K's.

Jul 30, 2005 at 3:28 AM Post #9 of 26
dynahi

Jul 31, 2005 at 3:23 AM Post #11 of 26
where could I buy the dynahi ?
580smile.gif

Aug 3, 2005 at 5:22 AM Post #14 of 26
I'm amping my SA5k's with an M3 and there seems to be a great deal of synergy there, using 637 opamps with a ths4601 for ground.

Aug 3, 2005 at 5:52 AM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36
Excellent thread. Informative.

Geez, what's with this guy? Eager to get a high post count?

A lot of people seem to be recommending the M3 with the SA5k's; I'm guessing it's a pretty fast amp then? I had my eyes set on the Gilmore Lite, but a DIY amp would be nice in that it'd be a lot more flexible to my needs. How much does a maxxed out M3 go for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back