WHAT GIVES THE MOST BANG FOR THE BUCK WITH AN 007 SYSTEM, A SUPERAMP OR A BETTER DAC?
Nov 8, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #16 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got the upgraded power supply for the XDAC V3, which is the XPSU V3.
It's built just like the XDAC but weighs 2-3 times as much. It adds even more refinement, better controlled bass, blacker quiet passages, and just a lot of musical details. The total package of DAC and PSU was about $550.00 shipped, in other words about 1/10 of the price of a BHSE.

I notice that as the source gets better, the Sigma/404 increasingly challenges the 007A. The 007A has better frequency extension at top and bottom ends, more detail and a more precise stereo image, but the Sigma/404 has a more realistic, less in-the-head presentation. As its definition is improved with a better source, it becomes a remarkable listening experience, probably unlike anything else other than the low bias and pro Sigmas. I would describe the 007 by comparison, as a great monitor phone, but unlike some monitors, also very listenable.

I was really hearing the S/404 advantage with a new Hyperion recording of a Handel Te Deum by the choir of Trinity College University of Cambridge. The S/404 recreates a listening hall much more so than the 007. Now I have never heard this choir in its home base, the Chapel at Trinity College,

Trinity_College%2C_Cambridge_-_chapel.jpg

which is also their normal recording venue, so I can't say for sure that the S/404 recreates the exact Chapel, sound, but one certainly hears much more of a chapel quality with the S/404 than the 007. ( Those I have spoken with who have heard the choir in its home, speak with awe about the experience.)

However, I did hear them perform recently in our own little town when the local volunteer concert association, of which I am treasurer, brought them in to perform in one of our better church auditoriums. So I had a good reference for the basic sound of this group whch toured with pretty much the same members as in the Handel recording, although without the period orchestra. It was remarkable to see even the more elderly members of the audience giving a standing ovation while holding onto walkers and canes, applauding and standing in respect until the last choristor left the stage. Since the oldest of the singers was probably only 25, it was nice to see the older generation showing such respect for this young group.

BTW you may also get this group to perform in your town, if they happen to be touring nearby. If you can make arrangements for putting up the choristors, as we did to cut costs, you can get them for about the price of a BHSE. Kind of puts things in perspective.

I am impressed. Where is San Jacinto? I live in Redlands and get to enjoy a lot of classical music performances but for sure would love to listen to the choir of Trinity College University of Cambridge.
I did hear the organ at Westminster Abby a couple of yrs ago and it brought tears to my eyes. Have heard the Academy of St Martin in the Fields in Cerritos with Barenboim playing the piano. Very emotional experience.
That is why I love the Stax sound, it brings the music to me. I am trying to get an exStata amplifier which is supposed to be as good as the 717.

Nov 9, 2009 at 7:09 AM Post #17 of 17
gilency;6143819 said:
. Where is San Jacinto? I live in Redlands and get to enjoy a lot of classical music performances but for sure would love to listen to the choir of Trinity College University of Cambridge.
QUOTE]

Go east on the 10 Freeway and turn down Lamb Canyon Rd., San Jacinto is at the bottom before you get to Hemet.

We had a jazz concert today, the Butch Thompson trio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back