what gives...have I been missing bass all my life?
Aug 2, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #16 of 41
I didn't think you were thinking that. Just makes it REALLY hard to talk about neutral bass (or not)
smily_headphones1.gif

Human hearing or the way we perceive sound is quite interesting, over time you can get accustomed to almost any type of sound. That means bass light / neutral / bass heavy. Quite often if you don't have proper reference point it can be hard to tell what is actually neutral or what is not. Its possible your "memory" is set on bass light sound.
Also its always possible some people are just more sensitive to some frequency like Bass or Treble.

I think this is a very good point also, I would have to lean towards what you mentioned, that my bass "memory" is set on light.

So yes. As far as headphones go, the HP150 are fairly neutral close to neutral. How close? I'm not sure anyone can tell you with certainty, except maybe an audio mixing engineer who works with audio all day long.

I get that, and it is really very helpful to get an opinion from someone with different, and more, experience, so I really appreciate all the replies here, it has been very helpful!

Aug 4, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #18 of 41
So I have ordered a pair of AKG Q701's.  Should be here Wednesday.  From what I gather from the reading/research I have done, they should be considerably different from the HP150.  I figured for a comparison, get a completely open design, and one that many purport to have a "weak", or not as extended, bass.  I am really looking forward to the comparison, I think it ought to be fun, and informative.

So, now do I put the 150's down before I become more accustomed to them, before my "memory" begins to shift, to give the 701's a fair shake 
blink.gif
?

I can say, that I have not been this excited about my music in some time.  The 150's sound pretty darn amazing to me, and I have never experienced any as low as they go!

Aug 4, 2014 at 2:07 AM Post #19 of 41
That will be a nice comparison. You will find the Q701s to have a much bigger soundstage. At times I thought the Q701s large soundstage sounded fantastic; at other times, it was a little too surreal to me. But a lot of people love it.

You never know. You might like them both equally. I have the K612 Pros, too, and like them just as much :)

Aug 6, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #25 of 41
Got the Q701 today.

BIG DISCLAIMER, I do not have a refined ear, and know that I can not hear many of the subtleties in sound that many here can.

That said, speaking as a neophyte, there is no way both of these headphones can be neutral!  There is a huge difference between the two.  The HP150 are base monsters, in comparison to the 701.  The 701 do, as many have written, have very clear, or bright high range.  The 701 bass is much closer to what I am accustom to, what I have listened to for most of my life, my frame of reference. Understand I am not implying that they are more accurate, that was my big question for beginning this thread.

So now I have a tough decision to make.  My first take on these two are that the 150 are a more "fun" set, and the lows go waaaay deep, and much, much more kick in the lows.  I tried EQing bass out of them, now I will try adding some to the 701, and taking a little away from the highs.  Then do a little more A-B listening to the two.

No matter what, these are both fine headphones, and both will take my listening to a new level.

Aug 6, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #27 of 41
The Q701 is lacking in bass extension while the HP150 (I assume sounds very similar to HP100 which I own) has excellent bass extension and a bit elevated sub-bass. The bass on the Q701 is also lacking in quantity unless you do the bass port mod, and even after modding it the Q701 is still a bright sounding headphone.

Aug 6, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #28 of 41
Yep. Neither are neutral. The Q701s start rolling off in bass in the upper midbass region. The HP150s have a gradual rise in bass in comparison to the mids. However, both are much closer to neutral than many headphones, IMO.

Aug 6, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #29 of 41
If you're happy with the bass on the stock Q then fair enough but if you think you might want a touch more presence there then the bass port mod is easily done & reversible. The treble has a spike at 2k which some (me) find jarring. It can be sort of solved with EQ by lowering at 2k by roughly 3dB. As ever though, YMMV.

Aug 7, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #30 of 41
Well, it is a nice problem to have, both of these headphones sound extremely good.  I wear one pair and think I am leaning towards them, then wear the other for a bit and then think I am leaning towards them.  I'm sure I could be happy with either, because man are they nice.  A little more kick in the lows with the Q701, would be really nice.

I will have to research the bass mod, but if I messed the headphones up...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back