What Full Size Headphones and Equipment Takes You "There"?
Apr 24, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #31 of 66
Naim CD5x with Hi-Cap > Nordost Valhalla > Headamp Aristaeus with 1961 Amperex EL86’s / 1960’s Siemens ECC83’s > Sennheiser HE90.

It doesn’t sound Live it sounds Real.

Mitch

May 6, 2008 at 10:50 PM Post #33 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by shomie911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there really even an upgrade from that? lol

Well the Minibox-E ---> DT880s take me "there" now

Soon to be: Laptop ---> Keces DA-151 ---> SOHA w/JISBOS ---> DT880

Then I'm done, for forever.

(Forever equivalent to about a year.)

I lied.

"Forever" didn't even last until I got the amp or the DAC.

They're still on their way.

I'm already looking to purchase a Stax system.
biggrin.gif

May 7, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #35 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What full sized headphones and equipment takes you "there"? That would be your "go to" system(s) that gets the job done for you so well, you no longer desire to upgrade (as temporary as that may be). Whether that's your $20+ full size headphones or $2000+ system, please post it with your typical uses IF it takes you "there".

I honestly could not answer this question until experiencing my current system: HotUSB1 DAC/amp > uAMP107B > HD580. Finally I have a system that I can "rock-out" with, that pounds my brain with electronica, and works great with DVD movies, classical and jazz. Is there any other system that I or anyone else could prefer? Oh, I'm sure of it. But at this point I really don't care because my system takes me there.

Mac --> Apple lossless --> Meier Corda Opera --> Beyer 2003 DT-880-250. It's been a year now and still no desire to upgrade. Each listen is still magical -- as long as the original recording is a quality one. Poor recordings really sound bad as all the flaws come out.

May 7, 2008 at 1:32 AM Post #36 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwlinder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mac --> Apple lossless --> Meier Corda Opera --> Beyer 2003 DT-880-250. It's been a year now and still no desire to upgrade. Each listen is still magical -- as long as the original recording is a quality one. Poor recordings really sound bad as all the flaws come out.

If you don't want to upgrade don't listen to Stax.
biggrin.gif

I listened to the Opera at CanJam and the Stax systems just stomped all over it in everything (detail, transparency, realism) except bass impact. The bass sounds incredible it just doesn't have that subwoofer effect.

Sorry for your wallet (and mine.)

May 7, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #37 of 66
Sony XA777ES modded w/blackgates -- Chord DAC64 -- Stax Lambda Sigs -- Me -- La-Z-Boy Recliner

May 7, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #38 of 66
The Meitner Labs DAC/transport combo --> HEV90 --> HE90 rig I auditioned was still the best at taking me "there" with just about any music I could throw at it. Not the last word in neutrality but musical and magical to the nth degree.

The HD650 driven by the Dared VP-20 did occasionally take me "there," it was seriously the best I ever heard the HD650 sound, but the VP-20 being a speaker amp can't quite handle the load, and there was clipping on some albums.

Strangely enough, the ES2, even out of the plain old X5, gets me "there" from time to time. Not because it sounds real, but because it sounds musical and well-balanced enough that I no longer care for realism. I just get lost in the music.

I think this has as much to do with synergy as it does with the quality of individual components. You need to have a system that does very little wrong much more than a system that does anything specifically right. I'm not talking about politeness either - since politeness is usually a coloration coming from insufficient dynamic range and tactile impact - but about a system that is very well rounded and very close to neutral without sounding clinical. Sonic problems tend to be much more effective at jarring you out of the sonic illusion than sonic merits are at pulling you into the sonic illusion. Which is why the ES2, which is relatively sonically inoffensive and very dynamic and involving at the same time, can really transport you, even if objectively the individual sonic components of its presentation aren't all that good.

May 7, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #39 of 66
Zero DAC/AMP (1364+627) -> Grado SR-325i takes me there for all rock music.

Zero DAC/AMP (1364+627) -> K601 takes me there for classical.

May 7, 2008 at 6:39 AM Post #40 of 66
My first visit to "there":

AT-HA5000 > AT-W5000 while listening to Getz/Gilberto SACD track 1 (The Girl from Ipanema) at about a minute into the song when Joao Gilberto's wife starts whispering Portuguese sweet nothings into my right ear. Truly magical.

May 7, 2008 at 7:01 AM Post #41 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
0404 usb -> k701
0404 usb -> GLite -> HD650

And an occasional dip to DT-770's or HD25-1's.

So, I guess I cheat by having multiple "theres"

So you reckon your GLite actually makes the 701 sound worse? In what way?

May 7, 2008 at 8:10 AM Post #42 of 66
an older rig that i have fond memories of: rotel 855-> CI audio VDA1/VAC1-> RA1 -> RS1

current setup that gets me "there": DAC->GS-X(preamp)->ASL MG head monoblocks->k1000

these monoblocks, while inexpensive, give the k1000 warmth and a deeper low-end. not the most technically-gifted setup, but very pleasant.

May 7, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #43 of 66
Well...

My portable Always makes my heart sing and it is about to get better!

I should have my new Headix in a few days. If you have the ability, customs are the place to go.

iPod Touch -> DIY LOD (18AWG) -> Visley HEA-1 -> FreQShow

My home setup is very good too, but I think that my portable beats it. It does get me there:

DAC -> MisterX XP Home AMP -> k400

The XP makes a wonderful pairing with the k400, plenty of power in that litlle box. The Raptor is a very good pairing too (even better than the b52 combo) and anything with a punchy sound will be Very Good with these cans.

The AT-701 is the perfect parner for older recordings. Ever wondered why older recordings don't sound quite right? Well, you need to find a set of vintage Hi-Fi cans to make you understand. This is what they were mastered with and the sound is just perfect.

May 7, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #45 of 66
PS Audio PS300>Tara reference PC>Modwright Sony SCD777ES>Audioquest Python>Maxxed Woo Audio GES>Stax O2
I found my perfect system. I listen to almost every kind of music, Lots of Grateful Dead( live recordings are awesome I can here Jerry talking to Bob),Bluegrass and acoustic music,Jazz and Jazz Vocals,Rock,etc. It all sounds good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back