What Full Size Headphones and Equipment Takes You "There"?
Apr 23, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #16 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcpoor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just wondering, you prefer the HotUSB1+uAmp107 over the HotUSB1 by itself?

Yes, I prefer the HotUSB1 > uAMP107B and by a wide margin. The HotUSB1 alone sounds good, but just begins to drive my HD580 well enough to hint at the HD580's potential. However, the HotUSB1 > uAMP107B definitely gets me there. The DAC half of the HotUSB1 is the best I've heard, and I can't imagine wanting to upgrade from it. So I recommend the HotUSB1 for easier to drive cans, and for that I think it would be an incredible bargain, a high quality DAC and amp in one.

Apr 23, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #18 of 66
Meridian 508.20 -> SinglePower Extreme -> HD600

Apr 23, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #20 of 66
I listened to Ray Samuels' Meridian 508 -> B52 -> R10

By far the most pleasurable system I've ever heard. If I had that, I'd never upgrade.

Apr 23, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #21 of 66
I think the Stax 4070 is the end of my searching for the perfect sound. They amaze me with whatever i throw at them. They are more analytical than the O2 and that's why i like them more, i think.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 23, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #22 of 66
I feel very humble with people posting about their really nice sources and amps..

For me (right now), I am completely satisfied with my laptop straight to my SR225.
smily_headphones1.gif

I plan to get a home amp/DAC sometime soon, and perhaps (maybe) upgrade my portable amp. I don't really see a point in upgrading my portable amp as I don't think it will benefit me much at all.

Apr 23, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #23 of 66
I am happy with my Echo Indigo DJ and Beyerdynamic DT250. I had tried a lot of closed cans before, but the DT250 are the ones I prefer the most.
The Indigo DJ is great as well, I am not sure if I will buy an amp again...
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 23, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #24 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by VeipaCray /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listened to Ray Samuels' Meridian 508 -> B52 -> R10

By far the most pleasurable system I've ever heard. If I had that, I'd never upgrade.

Is there really even an upgrade from that? lol

Well the Minibox-E ---> DT880s take me "there" now

Soon to be: Laptop ---> Keces DA-151 ---> SOHA w/JISBOS ---> DT880

Then I'm done, for forever.

(Forever equivalent to about a year.)

Apr 24, 2008 at 10:59 AM Post #25 of 66
These take me "there".
smily_headphones1.gif

ECD1 -> SRM-007t -> SR-007BL
ECD1 -> SRM-007t -> 4070

Apr 24, 2008 at 1:03 PM Post #26 of 66
I do like that you are aware that it is in "The System" that takes us "There' or the musicians "Here", which as you well know now is highly dependent on the recording, of course! And this too is a matter then, of degrees , more or less so real and believable or more of a "WOW" experience...

I personally have come to believe, most any of the well regarded 'phones frequently given coverage here, have this potential to deliver what you desire, in its sygergistic system. Yes, its true (unfortunately), the more you spend does have a correlation to this experience, you/we are after ie. "Being there" / "They are here"...

In a home rig, I cannot stress enough(as I tried to highlight in my recent thread in the Amp subforum: "Has your interest in tubes been piqued"), the joy of the addition a tube preamp has made in my system. As well as when I included it in my system with the HeadFive! As well as additional volume, but even at low volume: A WIDE 3D soundstage/headstage, greater weight to notes, additional air around instruments with finer revelation of the lifelike details, in the recording of voices and instruments presented again, on a seemingly wider sonic canvas for the art to be displayed upon...

So my point to all of this is IMO&E, "Try a tube preamp"(Mullards or Amperex Buggleboys), in addition to the prerequisites enclosed above(attention to source hardare and the quality of the material), for that, "You are there" experience!

Enjoy the tunes~

Apr 24, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #27 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do like that you are aware that it is in "The System" that takes us "There' or the musicians "Here", which as you well know now is highly dependent on the recording, of course! And this too is a matter then, of degrees , more or less so real and believable or more of a "WOW" experience...

I personally have come to believe, most any of the well regarded 'phones frequently given coverage here, have this potential to deliver what you desire, in its sygergistic system. Yes, its true (unfortunately), the more you spend does have a correlation to this experience, you/we are after ie. "Being there" / "They are here"...

In a home rig, I cannot stress enough(as I tried to highlight in my recent thread in the Amp subforum: "Has your interest in tubes been piqued"), the joy of the addition a tube preamp has made in my system. As well as when I included it in my system with the HeadFive! As well as additional volume, but even at low volume: A WIDE 3D soundstage/headstage, greater weight to notes, additional air around instruments with finer revelation of the lifelike details, in the recording of voices and instruments presented again, on a seemingly wider sonic canvas for the art to be displayed upon...

So my point to all of this is IMO&E, "Try a tube preamp"(Mullards or Amperex Buggleboys), in addition to the prerequisites enclosed above(attention to source hardare and the quality of the material), for that, "You are there" experience!

Enjoy the tunes~

It seems from your post you may not have understood what I asked for in this thread. So I will repeat some of it here in hopes you too will be so kind as to share your system(s) that takes you "there". Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What full sized headphones and equipment takes you "there"? That would be your "go to" system(s) that gets the job done for you so well, you no longer desire to upgrade (as temporary as that may be).

Apr 24, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #28 of 66
You are right, of course. Good luck ~

Apr 24, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #29 of 66
I haven't heard many of the top tier headphones, but for me the 2005 edition dt990 and headfive is an amazing combination. I have had it running for over a year and have yet to feel the need to upgrade.

Apr 24, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #30 of 66
I'm just a student, no $ for anything else. I'm perfectly happy running the k1000 from the speaker output of a marantz pm6002 integrated amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back