What FLAC bitrate
Mar 9, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #16 of 27
  You're doing it wrong then.....

Hmm....I tried 2 methods.

1. Rip to decompressed WAV directly....sound digital.

2. Rip to FLAC and keep the wav....does not sound so digital.

Am I hearing wrongly? Both methods should be the same right?

I'm trying to rip WAV and FLAC using EAC.

There's this option under Wave option. Double channel on mono playback...do I check that?
What does that sentence mean...does it  make the music on both L and R side, making it appear duplicate/ L and R at the same time.

Mar 12, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #17 of 27
So what player are you using? Are you using the same player to play wav and flac? Some player might not show the right bitrate. Some playees might sound different than others. Double channel mono should not be neccesary unless sound is literally coming from one speaker instad of two.

Mar 12, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #18 of 27
So what player are you using? Are you using the same player to play wav and flac? Some player might not show the right bitrate. Some playees might sound different than others. Double channel mono should not be neccesary unless sound is literally coming from one speaker instad of two.

Foobar and mi4I. Yes same player. Currently ripping all music to store in sandisk to test in fiiox1,x3 n Sony a15 n ibasso50 before deciding which player to invest.

The reason I'm asking about the double channel on mono playblack is coz EAC guide says enable

Mar 19, 2016 at 3:04 AM Post #22 of 27
Wav editor is only used for editting wavs. It is not used for ripping so the settings are irrelevant.

Thank you for saving my life! Haha. Thank you so much...I really appreciate your explanation! =)

How about FLAC settings? Based on....http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=EAC_and_FLAC

Should I use the following ?
-T "artist=%artist%" -T "title=%title%" -T "album=%albumtitle%" -T "date=%year%" -T "tracknumber=%tracknr%" -T "genre=%genre%" -8 %source%

Mar 19, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #23 of 27
Looks good. In case of flac compression level will only affect the encoding speed. More compression takes more time. Decoding speed of flac is always very fast, no matter what settings you used for encoding.

Compression level 8 will be fine. Compared to level 5 the filesize of 8 will be very slightly smaller. But any modern cpu should have no problems encoding with level 8.

Mar 19, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #24 of 27
Looks good. In case of flac compression level will only affect the encoding speed. More compression takes more time. Decoding speed of flac is always very fast, no matter what settings you used for encoding.

Compression level 8 will be fine. Compared to level 5 the filesize of 8 will be very slightly smaller. But any modern cpu should have no problems encoding with level 8.

Slogra....Understood.
biggrin.gif
which compression level should I use to get best music output for Flac?
I intend to pump all flac files into a dap. 

Any other command to use? Because I dont want to use ID3 tags which the player may not read...only folder and song name and maybe artiste name ...
biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #25 of 27
Flac is lossless so all compression levels are identical to the source. So basically the only difference of each level is encoding time.

I would just keep all the tags, i don't see any reason to remove them.

Mar 21, 2016 at 6:50 AM Post #26 of 27
Flac is lossless so all compression levels are identical to the source. So basically the only difference of each level is encoding time.

I would just keep all the tags, i don't see any reason to remove them.

Hmm level of compression won't affect filesize of FLAC right?

I don't know if tagging them will cause any problem in fiio or Sony or ibasso.

Understand that ripping is from digital CD to portable external drives or even hard disk. Is the sound output determine by CD and EAC or the sound card in Cpu? Level of sound in CPU also won't affect output when ripping?

Mar 23, 2016 at 6:01 AM Post #27 of 27
Of course filesize IS the main difference. But there is no quality difference between each level as all are lossless.

Keep in mind that there are two completely seperate steps in process which can affect sound quality:
1. reading (ripping) the CD to wav
2. Encode the ripped wav to another format

With flac you do not have to worry bout step 2. It will be perfect (lossless)

About step 1. Most important is ripping software AND the correct settings. The drive is also very important, some drives will be faster or read more (scratched) discs than other drives.

Cpu does not affect soundquality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back