What fits?
Jun 7, 2013 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

sinphase

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 25, 2011
Posts
145
Likes
11
Hello, I'm looking for headphones that are easily driven off a laptop, with velour pads, that are replaceable down the line and with a detachable cord. My price range is around $200, preferably below, as these headphones will mainly be for casual use. 
 
Any and all suggestion would be appreciated. 
 
Jun 7, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #2 of 14

kimvictor

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 19, 2012
Posts
4,397
Likes
225
Quote:
Hello, I'm looking for headphones that are easily driven off a laptop, with velour pads, that are replaceable down the line and with a detachable cord. My price range is around $200, preferably below, as these headphones will mainly be for casual use. 
 
Any and all suggestion would be appreciated. 

Open back or closed back? This is key.
 
Jun 7, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #4 of 14

roguegeek

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 28, 2012
Posts
1,918
Likes
103
  1. What's your budget?
  2. Where/how do you plan on using these can?
  3. What are your isolation needs? Open or closed cans?
  4. What kind of music do you listen to and what's the format/bit rate?
  5. What source device will it be coming from and what amp, if any, will you be using?
  6. Do you know what kind of signature you're trying to find?
  7. Anything else specific you're looking for?
 
Jun 7, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #6 of 14

sinphase

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 25, 2011
Posts
145
Likes
11
Quote:
  1. What's your budget? - 
  2. Where/how do you plan on using these can?
  3. What are your isolation needs? Open or closed cans?
  4. What kind of music do you listen to and what's the format/bit rate?
  5. What source device will it be coming from and what amp, if any, will you be using?
  6. Do you know what kind of signature you're trying to find?
  7. Anything else specific you're looking for?

  1. around $200
  2. probably just to watch the news and movies in bed on my laptop
  3. doesn't really matter if they're opened or closed because I plan on just using them indoors
  4. mostly, jazz, classical, acoustic that's mostly FLAC and 320
  5. i've got a fiio e9/e7 combo but it's plugged into my desktop for my HD650s, i want something that will sound decent on my laptop unamped
  6. neutral sound signature would be nice, nothing too bassy 
  7. i'm also pretty particular on velour pads that will be replaceable, i use to have the m50s which i loved, but the earpads cracked quite easily and got hot around the ears after a couple hours (unlike my HD650s, which I can listen to for hours without discomfort) and i was always concerned that the attached cable 
 
Jun 7, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #7 of 14

kimvictor

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 19, 2012
Posts
4,397
Likes
225
Quote:
  1. around $200
  2. probably just to watch the news and movies in bed on my laptop
  3. doesn't really matter if they're opened or closed because I plan on just using them indoors
  4. mostly, jazz, classical, acoustic that's mostly FLAC and 320
  5. i've got a fiio e9/e7 combo but it's plugged into my desktop for my HD650s, i want something that will sound decent on my laptop unamped
  6. neutral sound signature would be nice, nothing too bassy 
  7. i'm also pretty particular on velour pads that will be replaceable, i use to have the m50s which i loved, but the earpads cracked quite easily and got hot around the ears after a couple hours (unlike my HD650s, which I can listen to for hours without discomfort) and i was always concerned that the attached cable 

HD598 is also good for movies. It's pad doesn't wear off like M50s too.
 
Jun 8, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #9 of 14

roguegeek

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 28, 2012
Posts
1,918
Likes
103
Quote:
  1. around $200
  2. probably just to watch the news and movies in bed on my laptop
  3. doesn't really matter if they're opened or closed because I plan on just using them indoors
  4. mostly, jazz, classical, acoustic that's mostly FLAC and 320
  5. i've got a fiio e9/e7 combo but it's plugged into my desktop for my HD650s, i want something that will sound decent on my laptop unamped
  6. neutral sound signature would be nice, nothing too bassy 
  7. i'm also pretty particular on velour pads that will be replaceable, i use to have the m50s which i loved, but the earpads cracked quite easily and got hot around the ears after a couple hours (unlike my HD650s, which I can listen to for hours without discomfort) and i was always concerned that the attached cable 

I'd recommend the HD 598 as well.
 
Jun 8, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #10 of 14

PurpleAngel

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 1, 2011
Posts
29,066
Likes
1,836
Location
California
Quote:
Yea, I've considered the HD598 and the other HD5xx, but don't their cables require a 2.5mm jack on one end? 

The HD5XXs come with there own "Sennheiser special" cable with a 2.5mm connector that plugs (and locks) into the headphone and a standard 1/4" (6.35mm) to plug into your source.
To the best of my knowledge Sennheiser does not make a cable with the smaller 1/8" (3.5mm) connector, for plugging into the source.
The HD5XXs do come with a plug on 1/4" female to 1/8 male adapter.
Shure makes a nice 6" 1/4 F to 1/8 M  flexible cable adapter ($15).
 
I have the HD558s and they are great all around headphones, also seem to work fine plugged into anything.
 
Jun 9, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #11 of 14

kimvictor

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 19, 2012
Posts
4,397
Likes
225
If you don't like long, 6.3mm terminated cables, you can just reterminate it. It's not terribly hard(except that they are enamel coated and awkwardly color coded). There was also a company in UK that will do that for a rather cheap price.
 
Jun 12, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #12 of 14

sinphase

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 25, 2011
Posts
145
Likes
11
Thanks for all the suggestion. I'm strongly leaning towards one of the HD5xx, probably the HD558s. Just wondering if anyone would recommend the 32 Ohm Beyerdynamic DT 880s? Or would that be overkill for a casual listening experience? I'm slightly worried that the HD558s, might not be as durable overtime with their plastic construction. 
 

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

 
Jun 12, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #13 of 14

kimvictor

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 19, 2012
Posts
4,397
Likes
225
Quote:
Thanks for all the suggestion. I'm strongly leaning towards one of the HD5xx, probably the HD558s. Just wondering if anyone would recommend the 32 Ohm Beyerdynamic DT 880s? Or would that be overkill for a casual listening experience? I'm slightly worried that the HD558s, might not be as durable overtime with their plastic construction. 
 

[size=1.7em]  [/size]


Oh trust me, they are quite durable. I've put my HD598 in a suit case, with out any case, and brought it to Korea multiple times without ever damaging them.
 
Jun 12, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #14 of 14

PanicAudio

New Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 13, 2013
Posts
16
Likes
10
Yea having owned the Senns HD595 I have to say they work great for laptop listening, and are really quite comfortable. They will for sure las t a long time especially if you dont plan on wearing them outside, as casual listening cans generally (more or less) hold up quite well, especially ones made by Senn. That being said, I choose one of the HD models that one of the more veteran members are suggesting. 
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top