What Fiio amp/DAC to choose, help needed
Jan 20, 2016 at 2:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Jenson

New Head-Fier
First post here and being newbie what comes to headphones and amps, I am of  course asking for some guidance and help what comes to buying my first amp/dac.

I have recently bought AKG K550 MK2 headphones and have been taken JRiver Mediacenter in use. I am pleased with sound already, but I would like to see what can be achieved with separate amp/dac. Source is PC, Macbook air or Galaxy Note 4 on the run. All songs that I have are FLAC’s or mp3’s.

Have been thinking about Fiio’s amp/dac combo’s. Basically question is whether to choose Fiio K1, Q1, Alpen 2-E17K or Kunlun-E18. Can all of these act as amp and DAC simultaneously? Which one would you choose out of these an why if cost is no object between these models?

Thanks for any advice!

Jan 20, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #2 of 7
I know little about those specific headphones, but I own the fiio q1 and it works pretty well. I also don't know too much about the fiio e18, but the e-17k should be better with sound, have more features, and more power than the q1. Also I personally wouldn't get the k1 as it isn't as portable and has fewer functions than the others. Also, yes they all should be able to work as a dac and amp combo.

Jan 21, 2016 at 7:31 AM Post #3 of 7
  I know little about those specific headphones, but I own the fiio q1 and it works pretty well. I also don't know too much about the fiio e18, but the e-17k should be better with sound, have more features, and more power than the q1. Also I personally wouldn't get the k1 as it isn't as portable and has fewer functions than the others. Also, yes they all should be able to work as a dac and amp combo.

These are EU version headphones I believe. As per box specs are: 32 Ohm impedance, 114 db Sensitivity and 200 mW max input power. I guess these are quite easy to drive headphones what comes to amplification requirements. 

Thanks for comment related to K1, I also noticed now that K1 does not support OTG via USB so it is definitely not viable option for me. So it is down to Q1, 17k or E18.

Jan 21, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #4 of 7
Ok, just made decision to buy Fiio Kunlun E18. I paid 140 Eur for it.

Decided was made based on: 

- Size: bigger is better :) I am going to use this with note 4 and also as desktop DAC/amp. Therefore heavier and bigger is good
- Battery capacity: this unit has 3500 mAh battery vs. >1500 mAh on others.
- Powerbank: can be used as Powerbank to charge mobile phone or other accessories
- Volume control: Only one that has ALPS potentiometer!
- USB OTG: Only one that has USB OTG cable included in package

I expect that sound quality is about same in these all units except K1. I don't have DSD files so that feature in Alpen 2-E17K is not necessary for me. Also, I don't like the LCD screen with one knob control in it. 

​Now it is just to wait for unit to arrive and maybe after few months to write review about it :)

Jan 22, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #5 of 7
If price isn't a factor, definitely go for the e17k or e18, they both have extra features that the q1 doesn't have, just decide what features matter more to you. 

Jan 23, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #6 of 7
My rig is the X5II & the E12A from Fiio which is an excellent dap+ Amp combination.

Jan 23, 2016 at 4:56 AM Post #7 of 7
^^ and ^  I bought  Fiio Kunlun E18 already. Thanks for replies anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back