What features do you use on the X walkman?
Jan 15, 2010 at 11:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ShootingStars

100+ Head-Fier
I heard the clear stereo upsamples to 96k hz? Is that a good thing?
What is DSEE? Should I turn it on? How about VPT?

Jan 16, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShootingStars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard the clear stereo upsamples to 96k hz? Is that a good thing?
What is DSEE? Should I turn it on? How about VPT?

Where did you hear that about Clear Stereo? I've been wondering what it does myself haha. Turn it on and see if you like it - on my S-series walkman I've found that it increases stereo seperation but recesses vocals.

DSEE does very little, but I've read RMAA tests that show DSEE actually reduces high frequency roll-off, so I leave it on. At the very least it helps a few of my low bitrate files.

Every VPT mode sounds terrible, but Karaoke is fun lol.
biggrin.gif

Jan 16, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by a_recording /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where did you hear that about Clear Stereo? I've been wondering what it does myself haha. Turn it on and see if you like it - on my S-series walkman I've found that it increases stereo seperation but recesses vocals.

DSEE does very little, but I've read RMAA tests that show DSEE actually reduces high frequency roll-off, so I leave it on. At the very least it helps a few of my low bitrate files.

Every VPT mode sounds terrible, but Karaoke is fun lol.
biggrin.gif

Clear stereo must be just some special EQ, I presume. I was able to pinpoint the difference only with Sony SA5000. It seems to compress the sound, everything sounds less spacious and unnatural, like some frequencies just got removed. Without it the sound is fuller and sounstage is bigger. Why separate channels to begin with, isn't that like anti-crossfeed. How ear to ear experience can be an improvement?

Jan 16, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Clear stereo must be just some special EQ, I presume. I was able to pinpoint the difference only with Sony SA5000. It seems to compress the sound, everything sounds less spacious and unnatural, like some frequencies just got removed. Without it the sound is fuller and sounstage is bigger. Why separate channels to begin with, isn't that like anti-crossfeed. How ear to ear experience can be an improvement?

I think on muddier earphones, like the supplied ones, Clear Stereo does initially provide a cleaner sound. It's more compressed, but on less resolving phones it does bring it towards a kind of cleaner studio recording kind of sound.

However on better earphones it actually ends up making everything sound too digital. I swear it can't be something as simple as tone controls lol, something is at work here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back